Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator jumping

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator jumping

Its not every jump, only the ones that I hit at a high speed. By high speed I mean pegged in 2nd or mid throttle in third. I usually try to blip the throttle just before launch. The last jump I did, I had been jumping it slowly building up my confidence. Then when I hit it at a high speed the nose dove down and it rolled on me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator jumping

No matter what jump or gear I am in I usually peg the gas till about 10 yards before the face and let of to 1/2-3/4 then once on the face, I peg it again till lift off then no gas unless thrown to a nose dive. IMO full throttle all the way through is a wreck waiting to happen, its easier to save a nose dive then candlesticking it and having to bail.

Test runs in 2nd and jump in high 3rd or mid 4th. Then move to 5th on the same jumps. More air time will help you control yaw and pitch for a better landing.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator jumping

I like the test jump in 2nd idea, but you must be joking about 5th. there is no way I'm gonna jump going that fast. Too much air for me. Well.... maybe some day, the problem is this thing has my confidence lowered, so it'll be a while till I get it back I suppose.
Thanks for the input, the idea about more air time = more control makes sense to me.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Predator jumping

u guys are speakin of two completely different beasts here!!

Old 07-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator jumping

More air time = more time to regain control or completly lose it and crash worse. A bad jump will not correct its self with more air time. Start slow and work your way up. 1 or 2 times riding and jumping isnt enough to increase the speed you jump at. Just go slow and take your time.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Predator jumping

I agree with the idea of the "rebound" setting on your rear shock. I too had the same problem of nose diving. Read your owner's manual and adjust the "rebound dampening". This feature of the shock allows you to adjust how fast the rear shock rebounds after being compressed, read: (this is how fast the shock rebounds after being compressed just before takeoff of a jump.) If the shock is rebounding too fast after becoming airborn it will send the front end of the quad into a nosedive. This adjustment alone, will not completely compensate for the nosediving, but will help you to keep from doing so. You want to set it so that the rebound is dampened as much as possible to start. In other words, when the quad is sitting still, and you stand behind it, and push down on the rear grab bar, it should come back up very slowly compared to the stock setting. As you get used to jumping and riding, and skills improve, you will eventually be ready to adjust the "rebound dampening" again as needed. Hope this helps.