Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can a 700 Polaris be built to run with the Kawi's ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a 700 Polaris be built to run with the Kawi's ?

1st off, sorry guy's, but I'm a Kawi guy... I have an associate that builds Screaming Eagle bikes, & he just bought a shiney new 700 Sportsman... but the trouble is, his buddy also just bought a 700 Prairie... ( the Prairie is faster, that is the problem )... If I had the chance to advise him, before the purchase, & he definately wanted the Polaris, I'd have advised him to at least get the EFI... however his is carb'ed...

what can this guy do to his Polaris, to make it keep up with, or out perform his buddy's Prairie... keep in mind, that I know both of these guy's, & I can help out the Prairie guy with performance mods...

I'd assume that the compression is on the lower side, & that there are pistons, & or head work that could be done... how about the CDI ? timing advance ??? I know the clutches are tunable, at least similarly to the Prairie... how about exhaust ???

or is a Boondocker's nitrous kit the way to go ??? he wants to keep the comfortable ride, nice looks, & reliability, & will probably rarely get it into deep mud, but definately wants to keep up with , or beat his buddy on the Prairie, when they rip around...

Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

A good clutch setup should take care of that.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I'm not doubting you, so don't take it personally... but there are bolt on modules & CDI's that will make that Prairie totally out class that Polaris in the acceleration department, so I'm doubtful that clutching alone is going to give this guy the satisfaction he's looking for... he doesn't want an uncomfortable stall, what else would you do to the clutch to make it accelerate ???

Old 07-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

sold it then go buy the new 750 BF,the sportsman 700 engine (til today specs at least)is no match with kawasaki even a good running 650,
you can drop all money you want,but gains are not there...

Old 07-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

If he could shave 120 lbs off it he'd be there, but we know that will be hard to do with all the high quality parts built into a Polaris, so start with lighter alum. wheels and tires (if he has the Rawhides). Fine tune the clutch with a Heelclickers kit, full exhaust and or hi-preformance kit from Hot seat. Airbox mod, Rejet and he's good to go. If he has the cash he can always do some internal engine work with a hotter cam like in the EFI. He should call Aaen or Hotseat performance.
Oh yah, tell his buddy with the Prarie to follow him through some mud!!!!

Old 07-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

JIMMY... thanks for the response... one of the reasons he bought the Sportsman in the 1st place, was the chrome wheels... not sure of the weight, but likely a set of type 6's with center caps will give him the "bling", & shave a few lbs... it is an '04.5 model, I think they all come with the Badlands ??? but I haven't seen it yet, to confirm... as I said, he has several radical Harley / Screaming Eagle conversions, so engine mods & pipes are probably a given... but I mod alot, & think most pipes are pretty over rated, when they start publishing their performance gains... unless the Sportsmans is particularly restricted, however a set of ceramic coated pipes would add a little more "bling"...

the more I think about it ( my own quad is as modded as they come, & I'm unbeaten in open class mud racing ( so I'll let the Prairie mud comment slide...LOL... )), I'm leaning towards the Nitrous kit... that way everything stays a clean & nice, & reliable, for normal riding, but if he's blasting up the road with his buddy, he can shoot him down, then ( I think ) the Sportsman would easily run top speed with the Prairie ???

I'll be calling HPD this afternoon, has anyone got a # for Aaen or Hotseat, or any of the other Polaris rodders ??? thanks again...

Old 07-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Why do people buy big, heavy utilities and then give a sh*t which is faster?

Old 07-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

I just got off the phone with Daryl, HPD's tech guy... they make nothing for the 700... when I told him I was thinking about the Nitrous, he related a story of a guy he knows that has / had nitrous on a 700, & twisted the crank... appearently the crank is 2 piece, & "coupled" in the center... appearently this guy 1st tried a 15 hp nitrous, then a 20 hp, then on the 25 hp shot, he twisted the crank... well I guess the nitrous is out... back to the drawing board...

Old 07-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

HEY!!! 95SPORT... what are you doing with my wifes picture for your avitar ??? LOL...

Old 07-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

what i'm trying to tell is,the sp 700 motor isn't performances oriented like the kawasaki v-twin (any of them),i don't think the 700 sp can rev to 13000 rpm as the v-twin can do on severe testing process i heard in the past.

Quick Reply: Can a 700 Polaris be built to run with the Kawi's ?