Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 spark plug installation help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 spark plug installation help needed

I need help. Service manual sucks. Is the plug installation a pain or what? What is the best way to install these plugs? I have hardened mud around the base of the plug that i am loosening so i can get the socket all the way down.

THat's one thing people should look at. My plug wires would get water underneath at the connection and i would lose the spark on one. Still made it through the mud/water holes on half an engine. That's funny.

Anyways, if anybody has tips for me to change plugs, please help.

Old 07-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

The left hand side one is by far the biggest PITA to change. I've found that if I use one of those spark plug sockets and a "shorty" style socket wrench I can get in there. Crasftman sells those type of socket wrenches. They work just the same as a regular one but have a handle that is about 1/2 as long for getting in to tight areas. The tools that come in your tool kit actually work pretty good for taking out the plugs also. Just make sure your engine is cooled down a bit- it's easy to burn the crap outta yourself if it isn't. Make sure to use a little bit of anti-seize lubricant (it's silver metallic looking grease) on the plug threads and also some dielectric grease (sometimes called "bulb" grease) inside the plug boots. The dielectric grease will help keep water and corrosion out of your boots. This is what I do on my 700 and I've never lost spark due to water- and I've had them under completely several times! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Jack3689, I'm going to be getting some 27" bi/tri claws soon. Do you think getting a lift for the 700 really will stress it out under normal circumstances? I ride the hell out of mine but i don't want to break anything. Hate thinking of paying $700 for a set of front axles.

Old 07-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I have so much mud around the spark plug that i think i'm taking the gas tank off to get to them better. Has anyone done this and is it a pain in the butt? I have this thing all torn apart just for routine maintenance.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

Go at it from the right side for both plugs.
Removing the airbox will give you more room.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 03Sportsman700
Jack3689, I'm going to be getting some 27" bi/tri claws soon. Do you think getting a lift for the 700 really will stress it out under normal circumstances? I ride the hell out of mine but i don't want to break anything. Hate thinking of paying $700 for a set of front axles.
I don't have the lift on mine yet...it's in the mail coming from High Lifter. The 27" ITP's are installed though. They rub a little in the front when going over big bumps but not very badly. I may end up not doing the lift- we'll see. I posted a thread about lifting quads- look for it. Someone replied to me that they modified the Highlifter kit so that you got the lift but restricted the amount of down droop in order to avoid extreme angles on the CV's. I'll probably take his advice if I do indeed install the kit. Without a doubt though you will wear out the front CV's at a faster rate with the lift but I don't think it will be anything unreasonable with normal use. Just remember that you have to pay to play! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 03Sportsman700
Ok, I have so much mud around the spark plug that i think i'm taking the gas tank off to get to them better. Has anyone done this and is it a pain in the butt? I have this thing all torn apart just for routine maintenance.
I can't believe that you have that much mud caked up arond the plugs! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I've never taken my tank off but it looks like it would be a very big pain in the butt to do. Have you tried hosing the area down with water and letting the mud soften up for a while? Perhaps you could "wash" it out that way. I would imagine that it would soften up if you let it soak.