Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Adding a horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a horn

I want to add a horn to my '01 Xplorer 400 4x4 without disabling my reverse override like a lot of people have done. I know I'll need a button, inline fuse, and a 12v horn. My question is, what is the best way to wire it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default Adding a horn

there should be some unused spades that are hot on the electrical panel. just check for them with a volt meter or test light'

Old 07-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Adding a horn

I have my reverser override overridden and am using my button as the horn button. But, since you are going to use a seperate button, then just run it off the battery. You may need a horn relay though

Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Adding a horn

I mounted horns on three of our quads that did not have them. Higher pitched horns are easier to hear. They are usually smaller in size like those found on kids atvs. Find a good 12v hot wire. I chose one that is hot even with the key off. This way it can be used for emerencies. Next I use a handle bar mounted kill button. These are very common in most MC/ATV catalogs and at most shops. Wire the hot directly to the horn. I did not use an inline fuse, but it's probably not a bad idea. Next wire the kill switch to a ground and the horn. Now when you press the button it will complete the circuit by providing the horn with a ground. Works very well. The handle bars and steering post in general will not provide a good ground. The ground wire will have to go down to the post support or chasis somewhere. Here is a link for a button similar to what I used. Kill switch/horn from Dennis Kirk. It has two covered wires with about a foot long pig tail.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Adding a horn

Thanks for the info. everyone. I plan on installing it this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Adding a horn

Yep, I installed a horn with a seperate button. Just connect one wire to the frame(ground), and the other wire to the button. Works great.

*note* Hey BigBadScrambler, remember when we were trying to figure out how to get our horns working? Good times.... Good times..

Old 07-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Adding a horn

Originally posted by: AKracer

*note* Hey BigBadScrambler, remember when we were trying to figure out how to get our horns working? Good times.... Good times..
Yeah LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Who would have thought they Polaris would have changed the wiring like that!!???

Old 07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding a horn

i remember that, it was right around when BBS tryed to convince us he was getting a 450R [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Adding a horn

Originally posted by: DGScrambler400

i remember that, it was right around when BBS tryed to convince us he was getting a 450R [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
It worked on some of you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Adding a horn

I bought a horn from a marine dealer. Small, thin, and stainless steel. Ran one wire to the frame, and one to the battery. Used a momentary switch that I mounted on the left side of my 700SP just below the tank. Drilled a hole in the plastic, stuck the momentary switch through the hole, placed a thin nut on the back side, and I was ready to go. The horn itself I mounted just to the left of the taillight. I have to take my hand off of the grip to honk it, but it hasn't presented a problem. Now I can get my old lady's attention while I'm eating her dust!

Quick Reply: Adding a horn