Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Super Cheap SP 700 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Cheap SP 700 Mods

Recently 5 of the guys I work with have purchased 700 Sportsmans and we have started tweaking them on a budget and here are a couple of the things we have done so far.
The first thing we did was install the 3 light conversion. I put some 100 watt halogen equivelant bulbs in the stock lower lights that were super bright but they didnt project the light down the road very far at all. Then we purchased some driving lights that are a direct bolt in on the newer 700's from autozone and Wal Mart for under $20 and purchased high performance 55w bulbs off ebay for $10.00. What a difference they work great!!
Next we did a mod on the stock pipe that works great. We cut the factory downspout in half and installed it in the stock pipe about 3 inches back from the factory placement. The sound is very close to stock and they run great. These things will wheelie down the street now. Here is a link with pics of the pipe.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=975877

We still have a couple of other tricks up our sleeve and I will keep you posted!!

Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

* Member login error --- time has expired.

Can't see the pics.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try it now

Old 08-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Is it just a cut and weld job? Is there that much noticable difference? If so, I might try that on mine. I've seen someone cut the down pipe off and patch it, then they cut a big hole straight out of the back and welded on a larger turn down, but I think they said it was louder.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Last night we rode a 700 while looking at the RPM and then we switched out to a muffler that was already done and we saw about a 250 rpm's higher. Then while were playing around we noticed that the bike we were riding would pull a wheelie also. As far as the sound at idle it would be hard to tell the difference when on the gas it is slightly louder but certainly not obtrusive. The sound was a major concern of mine and it doesn't bother me at all!!

Old 08-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I will have to try that then. I love free horsepower!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Towtruck that was me that cut out the back of my stock muffler I had a pic of it up about a year back I'll post another pic of it.I did see alot in the mid range but not much off the line the only thing that will help off the line is a better then stock clutch. And keep in mind letting more air out doesn't help unless you let more air in then you have to rejet it....

Link to Pic

P.S. And yes - it is louder!

Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I looked at the pic that Bill35 posted and the way the pipe looks inside, his design is almost like a straight pipe. When I first just drilled out the new hole I started the bike and it was too loud and I was nervous to continue everyone I was riding with could here me coming and I almost welded the pipe back shut. After I put on the downtube it really cut the noise down to near stock levels.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Whttacoma your right its is louder.But I did like the performance I got out of it.And while rideing it,It sounded the same to me but my buddy on his panda>O sorry his grizzly behide me said it was much louder then stock.But its nothing like a stait pipe.Take ur muffler off then start it.Thats a strait pipe..If your looking for performance open up your muffler put a K&N air filter on it and jet it up a size or too and shell run.And if your looking for a big jump off the line youll need to re-clutch it.The sp-700 I have is a great quad and Ive been playing with it since the day I got it....Bill

Old 08-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

I've heard that making another hole in your stock pipe will make it run hotter and melt the valves?
Any truth to this?
THanks

Quick Reply: Super Cheap SP 700 Mods