Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Buring Belt While pulling

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was winched up ot a tree trying to pull it down..it was dead but still in the ground pretty well...anyway I hooked up my WARN 2000 winch and it jsut started to drag the SP on strong grass.

So my dad said ahh just put it in 4wd and reverse...So i did but i completly forgot that the brakes were on too keep the Sp from rolling while winching soo i started gassin it in Reverse and i smoked the belt

SO my real question is...Is there any technique to Pulling or Towing...Is it best to sorta punch the gas to engage the belt or should i slowly give it gas or Give it a little then punch it?

I jsut dont want to burn my belt

i took it too the dealer after i burned it for my 200 mile check up and they took the cover off and the belt and used the machine to measure the width and said it was as good as new... So im not too worried about the condition but I dont want to slip it again....

I Am not surprised that my belt slipped...Also It was after splashing through water about a foot or two deep and it had sliped when going through water so I think the belt may have been moist

Any way thanks in advance...

Old 08-17-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Chris

1. It is not a good idea to put the atv in reverse and pull backwards while using the winch as a tow cable. I read somewhere that you run the risk of stripping the gears in the winch doing this. The best method is to keep the vehicle from sliding forward is to tie the rear hitch to some sort of anchor (ie a live tree).

2. It is tough to tow in reverse. The best way to tow something is to turn around the vehicle and use low gear. In reverse, you have to hold the override button, or you will only get 2wd with the rev limiter.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2000, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

Just punch it, don't ease into the throttle. A good rule of thumb is as long as the wheels are spinning your not melting your belt.