Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Another belt problem question. I tried the search. No luck. Please help..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another belt problem question. I tried the search. No luck. Please help..

yea i read it...maybe i can get my dealer to lend me one...

Old 09-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another belt problem question. I tried the search. No luck. Please help..

Ryan, the crazy looking washer you see is the lock washer that is soppsed to keep the bolt head still while you tighen the nut on the back side. After tightening it one time real good I decided to tack weld the head after it came loose again. I sold the bike a while down the road, but I had no more problems. Hold that sucker and put the hurt on it. If it happens again then you'll be in for more teardown work. They eliminated the problem in 99 when they went to a real large bushing and nut setup on the concentric drive. That's just one of many ways how the 99 and later models are improved.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider

I see the crazy lonck washer on the bolt head side. If you look at the swing arm, you see a bushing, and what looks like another washer of some sort. I don't see the other end of the bolt. I can spin it freely, and it is not tightning up. Does that bolt go all the way through to the other side of the quad? I just don't see the nut.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:16 AM
CED
Pro Rider

The nut on the inside will take a 7/8 open end wrench to hold it.You may be seeing the bushing that sits in the tranny spinning.No it does not go all the way thru ,the end of the bolt just runs into the tranny about a 1/4.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

I just tackled the swing arm. The left bolt and nut was loose. I tightened it with a bar. Hop that holdes it for a little while. The brake side looks difficult. The arm is tight now no movement what so ever. But I am sure you guys are going to tell me to make sure the other side is tight also.

Tomorrow. I should have my new belt, and belt cover in. I am going to redo the secondary clutch. Since you guys think I did it wrong, as well as RICK. It didn't seem that hard. I put the spring in on the 2-2 setting. turn turn the clutch back counter clock wise around 1/2-1/3 of a turn and re install the c clip. Well I guess it does get a little challenging by yourself.

What should I do to reseal my back cover. A little high temp silicone? Just curious.

Old 09-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yea......Today I got my UPS shipment. I got a new belt and clutch cover. I just put the clutches back on. I did scuff the surfaces of each cluch disk very well. I also used dish detergent and a scuff pad to do the sides of the new belt. Per. Ricks recomendation. I got it all together started it on a big floor jack gave it a little gas and the rear looked stable, and the clutches worked well. I did leave the cover off for inspection. I took it out and drove a little. I sat on my left leg. The noise in the rear when I took off was GONE. Thanks for the help on that!!!. The bike was noticabely quicker off the line. It pulled the wheels easily. I am not sure if it was the new belt and skuffing, or me redoing the 2nd clutch and making sure it was 1/3 turn backwards. It was getting dark so I parked it. I got off and checked out the belt. I did notice some small fibers sticking out the sides of the new belt. They weren't long or anything. Just small ones. I was curious if this was a normal issue. I just want to be sure before I put the new cover back on.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 09-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

Ryan,

You have a clutch alignment problem if you rode it that little bit and noticed any changes in the belt...
My belt has over 40 hours on it and it still looks like it did when I put it in and mine pulls the front wheels very easily...

You need to check that the 2 pulleys are parallel to each other no more than 1/8" max out of parallel and check to see if there is 5/8 inch differance between the backs of the 2 clutches.

IE if you put a straight edge (like a ruler) on the back of each clutch assymbly while it is on the machine and measure between the 2 of them the distance between to fronts or backs of the 2 straight edges should be 5/8 inch or very close to that or you will destroy belts fast. Does your belt look like it is running straight or kinda look like a really flat z ? is both sides of the belt doing the same thing or just one. If I remeber correctly if it is only the outside of the belt take the driven (Back) clutch off and add a shim between it and the trans shaft they come in different thickness to correct alignment problems if it is the back side doing the wearing install a thinner shim.... You should not see any noticable wear in just an hour or two riding...

Last thing I thought of did you check all the motor mounts? My Scrambler has 3 and so does my 350L and the bottom one behind the clutches went bad on the 350L causing about the same problems you have been discussing in this thread..

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

I know I need to check the deflection. It doesn't look like a realy flat Z. It looks strait. I will try the ruler thing to make sure. I did check the back motor mount when I had the cover off. It looked fine no cracks nothing.

I will have to look at it again today now that I have some light.

Thanks
Ryan

Old 09-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Ohh and one of the other questions about the sides of the belt and if they are both doing the same thing. The answer is yes. Both sides look the same.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Just checked belt deflection. I have 1 1/4 and the belt is riding about 1/8 in. ontop of the secondary. I guess that is good.

Quick Reply: Another belt problem question. I tried the search. No luck. Please help..