Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

anyone rideing new spHO

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 08:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the new yellow HO is a good looking machine. The main difference that you notice is that steering effort is much much less. The brakes feel the same as the 00 RSE Sportsman. The HO seems to have a lot more down low. It will almost pull the front wheels off the ground if you punch it from a stand still. It feels much stronger. Much more torqey. The strange thing is that the 00 stayed right next to it when we drag raced them. Even as could be untill about 30 and then the HO would pull away. The RSE is much heavier with the winch and bumpers on it. I think it accelerates just as good because the clutch is setup better. If we had the same setup in the HO I'm sure it would accelerate faster but we would lose the just off idle romp that is fun. Top end the HO is 5mph faster. The HO is a hair louder at idle. If you have a Sportsman already I don't know if I would run out and trade it in right away. I think as soon as the new HO gets broken in it will pick up quite a bit of speed. The low end grunt is a lot of fun. So far between these two there is not much difference as far as measurable performance but the HO feels better.It steers nicer and crawls up steep hills a little easier. So I guess it's a personal thing weather to get a new one or upgrade the one you have. Either is a very nice machine with enough power to go anywhere.

Old 08-27-2000, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

how much did your dad have to pay for the new HO??

Old 08-27-2000, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

i was just wondering because when i sell my 99sp im going to get a green one.

Old 08-27-2000, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

COLORADO
Congrats on the HO.Poopsie and I just got back from HOLY CROSS,aw man I have wanted to go there for several years and finially made it should have done it back when.Only one word AWSOME it's the toughest trail I have found in COLORADO!!!!!I took new camcorder and got some good shots I'll try and upload them this week if I learn how.If you guy's like the steep and mean this is it!!!!!! CM

Old 08-28-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Colorado--from what you are saying, the difference does not sound astounding. Some people were saying 30% more HP. But, the performance you described did not sound like that much difference. Do you think that is a marketing ploy, i.e planned obsolescence? Is it worth trading in a 2000 500SP, and taking a loss to the dealer on a trade-in, to get the HO?
Cobb will be trading in soon, either way, just wait and see!

Old 08-28-2000, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

TXDOC
Hate to say this but had supper with CHOPPER BILL and his wife the other nite.He said that that he hadn't got to give the HO a real ride,but I don't think it'll bother me till the 700SP comes out.When that happens I'll be sitting on Bill's door step.I have really not been in need of more power other than in the higher altitudes,you lose alot of power at 12-14,000 ft.Now thats for right now,I haven't ridden one yet so we'll see.Trying to get COLORADO and his dad to go rideing so I can see for myself.HEY when your old you can change your mind like women!!!!!CM

Old 08-28-2000, 03:02 AM
Range Rover

Txdoc and Chicken

I rode it a little more today. I am not sure what jets are in it. It would bog a little if you punched down low. I think with a little tuning it will be much faster than the RSE. The engine itself seems to have much more power which is apparent on the top end. It is 5mph faster than the other one. It's just in an 80 ft race between them they are dead even. After that the HO leaves it. The HO feels much stronger but the clutch setup just won't let it accelerate as fast. It can out torque the RSE with no problem. The new HO handles so much better it's not even a close comparison. If you like your current Sportsman and don't have to have the latest and greatest keep it. With $600 or less you can have the head milled and HO cams and carb. Then it will be faster than a stock HO. The only outstanding thing I can see that is different is the steering. The RSE has a winch up front and a few other things that weigh it down and make it harder to turn. The HO is very easy to steer and it makes it much more fun. The engine feels much stronger when you punch it in the corners. It hits right away. The RSE is kind of like a stretched rubberband. It doesn't hit hard out of the corner but builds speed just as quickly.
Chicken
I plan on going to the hills this weekend but I am not sure where yet. I am getting the head milled on my Scrambler and it will be done by Friday so I will be eager to try it out. Oh ya I almost forgot. Thanks to ChopperBill we got a great deal. $6400

Old 08-28-2000, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

i got one offered to me at 5995,that is still a good deal at 6400,but this guy is really trying to make a sale i guess.

Old 08-28-2000, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

he offered u a 2001 sp500ho for $5995!!!! thats a steel if true. sure its not a 2000 sp500

later
jon

Old 08-28-2000, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

im positive,i have a 99 model im selling now and the 2001 HO was at 5995,i dont see how he does it but he sell more polaris than any of the other makes(honda,yamaha,suzuki)he has them all.maybe chopper can tell us??

Quick Reply: anyone rideing new spHO