Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

down to the frame tear down

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default down to the frame tear down

i wanna tear mine down when the snow gets to deep, taht is if i can get the snowmobile i want from my friend. i wanna paint the swingarm, a arms, and the frame of corse. and possibly the pipe and the cylinder and head. what do u guys think of painting the pipe (not the silencer) just the pipe yellow. do they even make high temp yellow paint? cuz i will need it for the engine to cuz im gonna paint everything yellow. oh ya im gonna repaint my bumper. so my real point to this is how hard is it to tear it down to the frame? scott

Old 09-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you can spring it, I would suggest Powder coating them

Old 09-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do it......maybe get a service manual to help, or just stay on here. Ask questions if you need help. I would also powdercoat, if you can afford it, like BBS said, it is great stuff, just like glass once you get it on. If you decide to paint, use a bright color, and use plenty of coats of clearcoat. I don't know about the pipe, I know John Deere makes muffler (black) paint.....some of that engine enamel stuff might stick, but if not, it will make a mess. You could just send the pipe and silencer off to get it jet coated(cermaic coated), it keeps it cooler, and looks awesome. Ask BBS about the ceramic coating, I think he has it done.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I did the same thing and used paint on mine.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

PJ-1 makes a high heat paint but all I seen was black color.painted mine in the spring looked good for about 3 rides.need to do it again

Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the high heat paint is BS all of it. i used the dupli color and its all coming of fmy pipe. it was rated at 1200 degrees btu the rust still comes through!!! powercoat everything.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

what about painting the head and jug? how much does powder coating usually go for? what about a home powder coating kit that dosnt use an oven, i saw it in atvsport and it looked super nice and they said it was super storng jsut like a powder coat. scott

Old 09-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You are probably looking at around $200 for powdercoating. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on how much prep work you do. As for a home powdercoating, i have seen the one that Eastwood sells and it seems to work well, but I dont know how you would do a powdercoat without baking it???

Old 09-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have a client that does powder coating ... it's a real science ... better to go for a pro shop. They powder coated my 8 year old rusty trailer … WOW it looks like new … but there are so many different types of powder and ways they can apply it … you need someone that know what they are doing.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

powdrecoating is not difficult at all. we have one in the school auto shop that cost about $100 dollars we just use a standard home oven so the size of parts we can do is limited but it is extremely easy.

Quick Reply: down to the frame tear down