Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sp500 tipsey on off-camber trails

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2000, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like ChickenMan said ... you don't just sit in the seat on side hills. On some, I slide over and sit on the side of the seat, but when it gets *really* off-camber all my weight is on my feet (stand up and lean and put your weight on the up-hill foot). If the terrain is rough, stand up, but be sure to keep your knees bent and just be flexible... just like skiing! You will find you can be quite at ease on the steep stuff; of-camber, up-hill or down-hill after just a few experiences. I'll take my SP 500 places where a lot of people fear to go (maybe their quad would make it, but *not* the rider!).
Like ChickenMan said .. come on out for a demonstration next weekend (Labor Day). We'll be camped at Snow Blind and he will be at Taylor Park, and we will be riding together at least part of the weekend.

Old 08-25-2000, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

In the January 1998 ATV 4 Wheel Action they did a Sportsman, grizzly shootout. Here is a quote:
Due to high seat heights, Polaris ATV's have developed a reputation for tippiness. The Sportsman 500's IRS back end overturns that stereotype. on two steep, rough on-camber turns (one going up some some rocks and the other around a tree), the Grizzly rolled while the Sportsman handled it no problem. In almost every situation the Sportsman's handling was more confidence-inspiring than that of the Grizzly.

In a latter issue that I can't find right now they did a Honda450, Sportsman shootout, and found that in the same situations the 450 could not keep all 4 wheels on the ground but the Sportsman sayed planted.
The low center of gravity is important for sure, but when forward motion on rough ground is added then suspension becomes very important too

dave

Old 08-25-2000, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

It only feels that way, it is not any more tippy than anything else. The IRS is actually supposed to be better than a straight axle in off camber trails. right about the Wolverine vs 300ex weight is an issue. one is 4 wheel drive one is not. 377 lbs vs 485.

Old 08-25-2000, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

Obviously, there is a difference of opinion here. Being new to the ATV sport, I guess that time will tell which suspension is best on side hills. Having a rubicon and a SP500, I'm in a position to give it a thorough test.

My first impression is that I'd rather be on the Honda on these type of trails even if the SP500 instability is wrongfully perceived.

Thanks for all the replies. I've enjoyed the discussion.

JA

Old 08-25-2000, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Definitely a difference of opinion. (There are some people you just can't reach)

I have seen more rolled over Sportsman than any other model. The IRS compresses and over she goes.
The IRS grips the trail better slides less and ooop there it is.

In our family the Honda 450ES was always more stable on treacherous terrain than the Polaris 400 Sportsman.

The latest newcomer to the ranks of champion roll-over contender is the Yamaha Kodiak. With it's short and narrow wheelbase there are a few of these going over.

No flames intended just actual observations.

Old 08-25-2000, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

I guess rider ability would play a HUGE roll in rollovers. There is always a need for a rider to know there machine. Rolling over should not happen , it us mostly due to riders not knowing what they are doing.

Old 08-25-2000, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I really think the statement as to rider ability comes in play here,I have yet to roll one and have many miles behind me and many friends that ride them.Rode with friend that was new to game that rolled his 400 but that was due to getting to high on bank and inexperience had nothing to do with quad.I keep hearing this suspenion compression what happens to the front?
JANDERSON it would do you good to ride with the QUAD DUSTERS as they could teach you some stuff,being new at the game you may need some advice.You meet people with like interest and then find new places to ride,we all started some where.I really have alteror motive,want to see that RUBBY in action.CM

Old 08-25-2000, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats nothing new. The old 400 sportsman was not a very stable quad at all. Too narrow and high. Lighter front end as well. I know a guy that has one and he has flipped it numerous times. We are talking about the 500 though here.

Old 08-26-2000, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

1998! thats old news. I don't think there is too much in common with the newer bikes.

Old 08-26-2000, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

I think rider ***** comes into play as well. I've talked to friends about going out riding and they tell me they've never rolled their quad. Then we went out riding, and after a short time I could see why. No *****. Everytime we came to some to some off camber rutted out muddy hill they went right by. The pucker factor is alittle high on some of these encounters, but what a rush when you make it! I rolled my Kodiak several times. The Griz ain't hit the dirt yet, after going through the excact same spots. Probably just learned from my mistakes.

Quick Reply: Sp500 tipsey on off-camber trails