Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sp500 tipsey on off-camber trails

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a RSE SP 500 and now have 250 miles on it. Last week, my wife and I went up Mt. Princeton here in Colorado. This is a narrow 4x4 shelf road that has a off-camber tilt to the outside. It has a drainage rut running down the middle of it that only makes the tilt only more unnerving. I was uncomfortable sitting high in the seat, a rollover the side would probably result in death.

The odd thing is that my wife was riding her rubicon and did not have the same sensation of loosing it. Does the SP500 just give a false sense of rollover when sitting sideways on a hill? Is the actual rollover point much greater than what it seems? I intend to play around on safer hills to get a better feel for rollover limits.

I like the look of bigger tire kits and I'd like to know if the additional 2" of clearance will greatly increase the likelihood of rollover.

By the way, at 7300 foot altitude, the rubicon is the faster ATV. This could be attributed to different jetting.

Old 08-23-2000, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

i just went up to co this summer with the sp500's. we has no major problens with power untill we hit about 12000 ft. (we wherent going very fast) we just pulled the airbox covers off and it gave the sportsmen this rumbly harley sound and they ran fine untill we hit the contenental devide and headed back. hope i helped!

Old 08-23-2000, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The lift will definitely take away from the stability, but then again, adding wheel spacers will compound the problem. Wider tires with spacers will take away from your ability to manuever between tight spaces, but will make the quad less prone to side rollover.

Old 08-23-2000, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

I added 26" mudrunners to my Xplorer and because they are larger the quad feels much more stable in most all situations except for really fast turns.

Old 08-24-2000, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

The Polaris will have a higher center of gravity due to the ground clearance, not the IRS. The IRS helps it keep all four on the ground more ofter. The Rubicon should beat the sp500 if it is not a HO.And the Honda has mass centralazation. That means honda put all of the wiehgt in one spot. That is why hondas have low center of gravity.

Old 08-24-2000, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

janderson
Welcome fellow COLORADAN.Ok you have have got some bum info here,first of all with the IRS the uphill side compresses not the down hill it will keep the quad pretty level.I ride 500SP and itr takes a while to get used to,the IRS will give you better control and traction than the straight axle,you'll have all your wheels on the ground more than the straight axle will.Have seen this first hand,I followed straight axle with another guy behind me I followed same exact path close as I could she was off ground 4 times and mine once.The 500SP is beast you have to learn to ride.You get in off camber get off your butt an use your weight to your advantage.I have link here that'll show you that.CM

http://i4.yimg.com/4/3f7b7fd2/h/6d7f...ntitled-19.jpg

here is slide show from Taylor Pass july4th this year.About 3rd pic in will show you IRS in action I took it just for times like this.The pics at ROUND MTN were with ATV club from Colorado Springs QUAD DUSTERS.
http://real.photopoint.com/jerryspar...taylorpass.ram

Old 08-24-2000, 01:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That point being said, remember the weight of the Wolverine as well as the fact that its turning 4 tires over. While the 300ex will leave the Wolverine behind, it will get beaten by the Warrior with basically the same motor and a chain drive every time in an all out drag.

Old 08-24-2000, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

JA
We'll be at TAYLOR PARK over labor day weekend if your interested just holler.CM

Old 08-25-2000, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

PHIL
First off let me appoligize for the BUM remark was uncalled for bad choice of words.Did you look at the picture of Quad sitting on rock with back tire up.Thats was just the reason that I did that the one side does compress as the other stays flat.As I have never tried to sit straight on 40% hill can't tell you what happens,I use body english and on that much of hill I don't care what your rideing you'll be headed down hill if you don't move on seat.Yes you are right about the high center of gravity on SP,you give one place to gain in another.If the ground is how do I say this?Ok your on off camber and you hit hole on down side yes the suspention will lower,but if high and low side are level "NO".Rider weight isn't that big a factor in the IRS the ground is.You hit rock or hole yes it will flex,just rideing whether side hill or flat it don't react that much.I have just bought camcorder and will be going out this weekend will try and get some shots in this type situation.CM
I think there are some action shots here and the body english in action.CM
http://real.photopoint.com/jerryspar...handcanyon.ram

Old 08-25-2000, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

3Tv is right about the independent suspension causing rigs to roll more easily. Just ask the military about what happened to the Jeep when they first went to all independent suspension. It became a death trap!

Quick Reply: Sp500 tipsey on off-camber trails