Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Pre-wired Winch installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Pre-wired Winch installation

I just installed the 3.0ci Warn winch on my 2005 700 EFI. If anyone attempts this, it is fairly easy, easier than one that is not prewired, but not much. Polaris claims this quick 'install' or 'uninstall'...well thats BS, there are no quick disconnects on the winch. However, there is a Contactor wire, Main wiring harness connection and battery cable already installed. Thats it.

The instructions are okay, but whoever wrote the instructions did it after they did an install and forgot a few things. Also, the parts that come with the winch don't match the installation instructions exactly. The unit comes with special Polaris instructions, two sets....one for the new 2005 pre-wired and their standard instructions. You will need the pre-wired instructions by may have to inquire in the other instructions for minor things.

One big thing missing from the instructions is when you see the 'orange and white' wire. It tells you in an encrypted way that this comes off of the main wiring harness, but doesn't say where. Well if you wire one up, it is under the access cover below the headlight pod. There will be a female spade connector wrapped in heat shrink inside the headlight pod, that is the one you need. There are two of them, but one won't mate with the plastic cover supplied on the wiring harness. They both work, I tried them.

I also suggest that you install the Remote Switch. If you don't install it, its harder on wiring than if you do install it. If you want to see pics of the installation, I can take some. I put the Remote Switch on the upper fender, out of the way, just above the Contactor that I installed, which is mounted on a splash guard in the upper right front fender ( Polaris recommendation and it is predrilled to mount).

Lastly, do not use the template that they provide to cut out the front cover where the winch goes. They have the template too big. If you look at the pictures on the Pure Polaris parts site, you will see that they have just cut out around the fairlead, thats all you want to do. Since each unit will mount slightly different, mount the winch and wire up completely, test out and then do the cutout last. Measure the distances to the fairlead from the top, bottom and sides and then make a conservative cut with a hacksaw (powered). Then do some trimming and filing until you get a good fit. You will have to trim the bottom more than the top because it hits the fairlead mount. It is the hardest part of the install.

One other note, the winch is not light. You have to run the two cables from the winch up to the main access cover below the headlight pod, so you would use someone elses help or do as I did and put a stand to temporarily set the winch on.

Ok, one more note as I think about it. There are a bunch of yellow wires where the winch mounts with a connector, you can either disconnect and move behind the frame or flatten the wires so they sit flush. On mine, the winch mount pushes up against them, but did not crush them, this may not be true on every machine.

I will host pictures on pbase when I get a chance.

Dave

Old 09-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Pre-wired Winch installation

Thanks for the info![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]