Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xplorer sometimes pulls hard to the left

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004 | 12:53 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Xplorer sometimes pulls hard to the left

Twice in the last 2 months, my 2001 Xplorer 4x4 will pull really hard to the left. I could be driving it one minute with it working fine, park it, go drive it again 20 minutes later and it will then be pulling hard to the left. What I've done to remedy it is to go in reverse about 10 feet or so and the problem goes away. Anyone else had this kind of problem? Where should I start looking for the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2004 | 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

Your front hubs are probably hanging up. My SP 04 500 does this in reverse sometimes. I'm not suggesting this, because if done wrong it can cost $$$, but you can file the rollers to remove any high spots and it will go away. I don't even worry about it. I would just keep doin what your doin.

Old 09-20-2004 | 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

No mechanic here, so take it for what it's worth...mine does this once in awhile as well ('99 300 explorer) and I have to do the same thing. Has always done it a little bit, but now worse since I rolled the heck out of it last year, but to the right. I was told it's alignment, but didn't believe it. New style tie rods helped a bit. Just tore front end apart for servicing and noticed the the A-frame tube parallel to the frame is tweaked just slightly. It's actually bent in towards the frame a bit. I may try to remove and straighten or replace and see if that cures it. The bushings on this thing have to be worn out as well, so that may not be helping.

Mechanic here (not sure how much faith to have in him) swears it's alignment....

Old 09-20-2004 | 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

If it actually pulls really hard, then its probably one front hub locking in- this happens when shifting from reverse to forward in awd sometimes, and is resolved by backing up a few feet. Someone with more knowledge could tell you how to adjust the nut inside the hub, but my knowledge ends here. One front wheel is still in 4wd, the other isnt. Polaris's awd system makes the front wheels turn slower than the rear when in awd, so the locked wheel goes slower, making your handlebars turn sharply. Like i said though, i know not what i do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2004 | 04:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the insight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like it's just a flakey problem and as long as backing up resolves it and the problem doesn't get any worse, I shouldn't really worry about it, unless I feel like trying to fix something.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2004 | 06:04 PM
Range Rover

Another thought. I had the problem with my old and now sold 1995 Sp400. I first thought it was a hub problem and after a few times I discovered it was the front brake caliber on one side or the other. Try working the brake handle a few times and see if that frees it up. You may be doing it and thinking the reverse action is fixing it when all the time it's the fact that you apply the brakes as you are backing and going forward. I just pump the handle a half dozen times and it would release and work fine. Let us know. Good luck. Charles

Old 09-20-2004 | 06:43 PM
yaK
Pro Rider

my 04 has done that a few times but either went right away after i started going or if i put in reverse like the guys said here! mind you it happened all three times when it was cold .......

Old 09-21-2004 | 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

known issue with front hubs not disengaging. Every Polaris 4x4 I've ridden has done it at one time or another.

Old 09-21-2004 | 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

did anyone mention chaning the fluid? if its low that can cause it

Old 09-22-2004 | 08:50 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

If it only does it on Sundays, you have the NASCAR edition. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Xplorer sometimes pulls hard to the left