Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 MV

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 MV

I have been pretty interested in this atv for a while considering it has dual tanks/winches,
reinforced frame/front/rear suspension and a few other little pluses. What does every
one think about this beast and who's thinking about buying one(not including me). LOL

Mike M

Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportsman 700 MV

At almost 1,000 lbs. dry, and about 10,000 bucks, you could buy a Jeep if you want a military vehicle !!!!! I would be in fear of gettting something that heavy stuck, and dual tanks are probably needed to keep the range the same as a regular quad, all that weight has to suck the fuel like crazy. A standard 700 EFI could easily be set up with dual winches or a quick connect to swap front to back. The reinforced frame / suspension is for the extra weight, a stocker would be heavy duty for almost all uses a normal rider could think of.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 700 MV

Honestly I dont think the weight will effect this machine/motor because the stock
700 is close to 800lbs so it isnt that much heavier(maybe 150 lbs), also this motor
is more of a torque friendly motor so it should haul itself around pretty good. Im
aslo thinking the fuel mileage is going to be like everything else the harder u ride
the more gas u burn, so im thinking at trail speeds u will have a very extended
range considering the quad has a 8.75 gallon tank. The difference in price is only
3 grand so Having dual winches, beefed up chassis/suspension, metal racks,
runflat tires, and reserve tank are just icening on the cake. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Any other thoughts? I figured there would be some hardcore offroaders out
there looking at this quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 700 MV

Personally, I'd like to find an aftermarket mounting kit for a second winch on my 700 EFI. That seems very handy. As for paying 3000 for that premium, I'd rather just get the aftermarket kit, if available, and a flat rack for more fuel. YOu can ride a lot more on 3000 worth of fuel!

Old 09-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman 700 MV

Well, if you plan on driving through minefields, it sure would be the way to go. I hear they are armored for drivers protection from most anti-personnel mines.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 700 MV

I agree with you, with all the extras on the MV you're getting your money's worth. The racks are rhino lined with the big d-rings for tie downs also. The run flat tires allow you to return home if you get a flat, the dual winches, extra heavy suspension. Sounds like a heck of a machine. Remember the military chose this as their atv to use overseas also over honda, yamaha, and the others. Evidentally if the military has tested and used it, it's gotta be a good atv.
As for the gas mileage, it can't be much less than a standard 700 carb, unless you're driving 200+ miles each trip.
I'd say go for it!!

Old 09-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 700 MV

Im thinking along the same lines as u predatordude, with all the extras that dont
come on the sportsman 700(regular version) the MV is very resonably priced. I just
figured since polaris decided to sell this atv publicly there would be some people
excited about this, guess not LOL(except for me).

Personally I think this is an awesome edition geared towards more extreme
offroading/work and hope to have one soon.

Mike M

Old 09-22-2004, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman 700 MV

Personally I think it’s a little overkill, but that depends on your needs and cash flow. You can trick out a new 700 or 800 EFI nicely with the extra cash saved.
That being said the reviews so far are positive , it is said to carry its weight well, like the other Sportsman's. There are some upcoming reviews in the magazines.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 700 MV

Polaris has a rear mount Winch now. I didn't know it existed until this morning when browsing thier website.

http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.aspx?ItemID=2874249(PolarisPGACatalog)&Depa rtment=ATV(PolarisPGACatalog)&Category=ATVByModel( PolarisPGACatalog)&Listing=04Sportsman600%26700(Po larisPGACatalog)

Pretty cool. I wonder if you can get it installed with the front winch already installed? (NOt sure where the switch would go)

Old 09-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman 700 MV

Im thinking u could wire the 2 winches on the same switch and have an extra toggle
switch to go from 1 to the other. Ive noticed that multi mount for a while and I have
to say the winches on the front and back of the MV arent what sold me on the quad
(I havent even used the winch on the old mans quad because I havent had it stuck),
I just like the rugged looks and the few add ons like extra tank, metal racks, reinforceing,
and the 2 winches would be a seldom used bonus. I can honestly say I love my dads
500ho and am amazed at what it can do from powersliding around a turn at 50mph
to some small jumping to hardcore offroading to packing all your gear on a long tour.
I also have to say I do alot of snowmobileing and after 100 miles(on a groomed trail)
im done for the day where as on the sportsman im ready to go again, it just has an
awesome ride.

BTW I have to add that I have noticed some think the sportsman is a heavy tank but u
must realize in order for the 4 wheel independent suspension to TRULY work properly u must have
a very rigid frame which equals a heavy quad (less frame flex allowing the shocks to do their job).

Mike M

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 MV