Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rack for carrying deer

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack for carrying deer

I was wondering if anyone out there has come up with a somewhat inexpensive way of carrying deer on your atv without having to load it the front or rear of your atv? I was going to take the route of using an auto hitch carrier that fits into a receiver hitch on my atv but putting even a 100 lbs. on the carrier makes the suspension on the rear really sit down. If I could somehow fit a small wheel with some type of suspension arm to it, it would I think take some of the weight strain of the atv suspension. What do you guys think and/or what do you use. I have seen some of the carriers available out there but I have no desire to pay +/- $300 or more.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2004, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider

How about a trailer? Here is what I am using, but I didn't have it with me this year when I shot my elk:

OtterOutdoors

Old 09-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

deer huntin!!! i am all excited... i am taking a bow safety course tomorrow... and rifle season is coming up... i going bird hunting next week, that will be a blast...

i just dont think i will quite the luck i did last year... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

gooseman,

I contemplated building a trailer, I laid out the design on paper for a 4 x6 tire under th bed trailer. However, after I priced out all of the pieces like a torsion axle for ground clearance, hubs, atv tires and wheels, I was looking at close to $300, and that was before I even added steel, she would have been a beauty though.

What I come up with was this. Go to Harbor freight and do a search on "folding trailers". They have different capacities and the higher capacities come with more trailer weight. Here is the one I ordered 990 lb. capacity Folding trailer HB has fre shipping and it got to my door for 205 in about 1.5 weeks. In fact I am going to put it together this afternoon. BTW you can also get wood kits if you want side boards too.

MY plan is to take and use a chop saw to wack off a foot from the tail end and a foot from the front end piece, and recenter the supports to make it 4 x 6, so it does not get hung up. If you are not hauling anything major in, just fold it in half and ratchet strap down, and should be able to anywhere. The trailer weighed iin at 221 lbs before the mods. but cutting 4 ft. of steel off and going with 1/2' or 5/8' decking instead of 3/4' should drop the trailer well under 200 lbs. I estimate the the tongue weight to be between 10 and 20 lbs.

Hope this helps, and I aplogize for thje long post.

ZMan

Old 09-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't found a trailer that is narrow enough for trails, but long enough for a deer. 1" square tubing with expanded steel on top using a couple of small trailer wheels and a hitch works great. I made mine 2' wide and 6' long, strap the deer down and bring him home.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

You would throw the whole dear on the rear rack of my 700 Sportsman. I put a whole elk on my 500 Sportsman once. I put the head up over the handlebars and the butt was on the rear rack, I sat on it to try to hold it in place, didn't work too well....lol.... Two of us about busted a nut trying to get it up on the machine...

Old 09-26-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

Yea I know how to set you up right, been hunting for many years in the tight spots. Just brought my 400 back in today. I'll try and post some pic, if not email me and I can see if I can get them out to you.

later

Old 09-26-2004, 12:00 PM
yaK
Pro Rider

I saw an aluminum trailer from a minnasota company that had wide fat tires that were right under almost the same width as the quad and nice and light being aluminum!

Old 09-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I use a plastic sled from Cabelas, the deer fits inside it and there are plenty of tie down points to secure the deer, it pulls very easy. Deer Sleigher is the product name in the hunting section.

Old 10-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hello gooseman:
I took the pics for you, the you see behind my 400 is used for draging deer out. Works pretty good, just tie your game on and go. Its some old belting I had laying around that I made it out of. Good luck on your hunting.

later

I'll use the little trailer also, just big enough to get the 400 in. Only about 1 foot wider than my atv. I'll use my dragger to get the deer/elk to a near by road, than trailer it out with the 400. Where I go you will not get a full size truck in there.