Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 Rear Brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 Rear Brakes???

Are there any other Scrambler owners out there that have found their rear brakes to be pretty weak? I have a 2004 Scrambler and find that the rear brakes offer minimal braking power at best. Does anyone know why this is?

Old 10-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would be hard pressed to say that mine work at all[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Tried bleeding them many times with a professional bleeding kit and it still did nothing. Im thinking I either have an air leak somewhere, bad master cylinder, or a bad caliper. Something I am going to have to tear apart this winter. But, for you, I would start with bleeding them a couple of times

Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, mine do seem to be pretty weak. Only after bleeding them and getting new pads is able to lock up the rear wheels. One reason I think is that our Scramblers just eat right through rear pads, like sand is getting in there and just grinding them down very quickly. I just bleed them and keep the pads fresh before we go on a big trip and it works good, but I it is just kind of a hassle.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feedback guys. However my brakes were weak rigth out of the show room, from day one. SO I don't think its just normal wear and tear. I think it may just be poor design. I've heard other complaints about this too.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Try bleeding them a few times and see if it helps

Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

I have put a little over 100 miles on my 05' and the brakes have been perfect. Like anything though there are bad apples out of every basket, and you may have gotten one. Not sure when you got it, but I'd go back to the dealer, they may not have done a good job assembling it too.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 97RamSST
Yeah, mine do seem to be pretty weak. Only after bleeding them and getting new pads is able to lock up the rear wheels. One reason I think is that our Scramblers just eat right through rear pads, like sand is getting in there and just grinding them down very quickly. I just bleed them and keep the pads fresh before we go on a big trip and it works good, but I it is just kind of a hassle.
I agree, bleed them a few times and when needed replace with quality pads (they wear quickly).
They should be able to lock up on soft pack and gravel. Polaris intended the foot brake only as a back up, use sparingly and only as needed.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

do a search under 'scrambler' and 'brakes' in the polaris forum

this topic has been covered many times before

the rear brake setup on a scrammy isnt a good one in my opinion

Old 10-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

The rear brakes on my '00 scram are useless as well. You can stomp the pedal flat and it barely slows, let alone actually stopping the thing. Oddly enough, I still need to replace the pads every now and then. The price of the pads isn't even worth the stopping power they (barely) offer. Poor design is my guess. I just use the lever

Old 10-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

I get my brake pads for free. The only way i can lock up the rears on pavement is to pull the brake lever and step on the rear brake pedal at the same time.

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 Rear Brakes???