Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4x4 in reverse for a scrambler..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 in reverse for a scrambler..

yup.. that is it.. Because I bought used and have never had a scrambler before I don't know all the ends and outs.. but I am learnign them!

thanks guys!

dave

Old 10-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Check your battery. I had trouble with my 4x4 in reverse. I had a bad battery. 4x4 worked in forward (higher RPM) but not in reverse. I cant explain it, I'm not a good mechanic, but I was told to check the battery. I did and everything works fine now.

But to answer your question, yes you should have 4x4 in reverse.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

can someone tell me what the advantage to bypassing the reverse override is? I never had any trouble holding the button while backing up in 4x4, and I cant imagine a circumstance where I would want to back up at speed without holding the handlebars.

Old 10-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its more of a personal preference. I didnt like having to hold it in EVERYTIME i wanted to go in reverse and have 4wd in reverse. Now, I have a high stall primary spring which once it was installed required me to use the override everytime for reverse because the clutch engaged above the reverse rev limit.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Range Rover

that spring you put in, does that give you a little more torque on the bottom end?

d

Old 10-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It lets the clutch engage at a higher RPM which gives me instant power. Makes wheelies a piece of cake

Old 10-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Northstar2
can someone tell me what the advantage to bypassing the reverse override is? I never had any trouble holding the button while backing up in 4x4, and I cant imagine a circumstance where I would want to back up at speed without holding the handlebars.
i dont mind holding the button

it also keeps my idiot friend(s) from flipping in reverse,,,,,until I feel comfartable with their riding enough to tell em about the secret yellow button

Old 10-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

When you are stuck in the mud there are times you are moving the handle bars around and you finger slips off the button with out realizing it. When this happens you loose the power and hear a loud backfire. I plan to change mine to a switch rather than the button or bypassing it totally. That will make it idiopt proof when someone rides my quad, but give me the oportunity to have the override on without holding that little button.

Old 10-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

OK. First, you do not need to press the reverse override to have 4x4 in reverse. Second, flip in reverse? cant even imagine that. Third the idea of the reverse override it to prevent injuries if the forward reverse selector accidentally get jammed into reverse. Being mounted on the fender and operating in a back and forward motion if you are riding through thr woods fast it is possible for a branch to hit the shifter into reverse.

Old 10-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know about yours, but my Scrambler did not have 4wd in reverse unless you hold the button down. It does not just limit the revs, it also disables the 4wd. My Sportsman are both the same. Every other Polaris 4wd I have ever seen works this way. Maybe you should double check yours.
If you are riding fast thru the woods and a branch hits the shifter and is actually able to shift it into reverse, it will probably not even engage unless your foot is on the footbrake, and if it did you would have probably let off the throttle by then, and you are probably more likely to get thrown due to the branch hitting you and taking you off the back, rather than reverse engaging at speed in 4wd and throwing you over the bars. I would think the biggest concern would be the arterial bleeding from the branch that hit your right leg after it hit the shifter.
As for flipping in reverse, if you have the machine in 4wd, button held down and throttled up, perhaps backing up an incline, it will do what is essentially a reverse wheelie. If youre not expecting it, it could easily flip you off.
A Scrambler that goes just as fast backwards as it does forwards is a dangerous thing, and they made the button bright yellow to remind people of that.

Quick Reply: 4x4 in reverse for a scrambler..