Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb question - '01 Xplorer 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb question - '01 Xplorer 400 4x4

I noticed the other day that I was leaking fuel while it was parked and not running. After some investigating I found the source. There's a vent tub that comes out of the bottom of the carb. Is that supposed to connect to something? Or is it just a vent tub? This is the first time I've noticed fuel coming out of it. What can I do to stop the fuel from draining out?

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

well if its like mine its the vent line that comes out of the bowl and somewhere else(cant remeber right now, brain fart sorry) well im gonna asume its gas comin from the float bowl so it sounds like your floats are out of wack or something along those lines. pull the float bowl off and check it out and let us know what u find

Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likly your needle valve and seat are bad.Change them out and it should stop.Or just turn the gas off when you stop.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

I agree i had the same thing happen and it was the needle vavle,also when you have the carb off check the drain plug on the bowl,mine actually had a hole horn threw it from the rubber mount it was sitting on.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I got the problem resolved last weekend. I had it sitting outside to drain what little gas was left in the float bowl (with the fuel shut off) when a friend of mine who is a very good mechanic stopped by and I was explaining the problem to him and he suggested cleaning the air filter and the pre-filter because the pre-filter was pretty dirty (my fault for not cleaning it sooner) and possibly not allowing enough air into the carb. So I made sure the air filter was still in good shape, which it was, and I thoroughly cleaned the pre-filter and put everything back together. Once I fired it up, it ran like a champ. I drove it for awhile and then let it sit in my driveway to see if any gas was coming out of the carb, and there was nothing and there hasn't been since.

Another lesson learned.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Range Rover

i hope your right but i dont now why a dirty air filter would make it leak?I have a feeling that you will have it leak again,maybe the needle valve just didnt stick that time? thats how mine was ,good luck

Old 10-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Bubs
i hope your right but i dont now why a dirty air filter would make it leak?I have a feeling that you will have it leak again,maybe the needle valve just didnt stick that time? thats how mine was ,good luck
i agree with bubs!!

fuel is leaking past your needle and seat (the one attached to the float and allows fuel to enter your carb bowl) causing your bowl to overflow thru the drain tube

could be a bit dirty or sticky

it is good to clean the air filter,,sure,,,but not really going to help a fuel leak

Old 10-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Just because A follows B...doesnt mean A causes B.
Jiggling things around, and draining the float bowl, probably flushed out the piece of crud, that was holding the float valve open.
You should get into the habit of shutting the fuel valve to off, when the motor isnt running. Lots of motors have been wrecked, when the gas keeps flowing, but instead of going out the over flow tube, it goes down the intake, past the valves and washes the lube off the cylinder walls and piston rings. Its amazing how fast a motor can get trashed when the cylinder to rings, lubrication is gone.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Just because A follows B...doesnt mean A causes B.
Jiggling things around, and draining the float bowl, probably flushed out the piece of crud, that was holding the float valve open.
You should get into the habit of shutting the fuel valve to off, when the motor isnt running. Lots of motors have been wrecked, when the gas keeps flowing, but instead of going out the over flow tube, it goes down the intake, past the valves and washes the lube off the cylinder walls and piston rings. Its amazing how fast a motor can get trashed when the cylinder to rings, lubrication is gone.
great point

your oil may smell like gas if this is happening

Old 10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm.......I never thought of that. Good point. Come to think of it, when taking the air filter and air filter box apart, I did take the top off the carb which also could have (possibly) removed some crap in there. I'll keep an eye on it, shut my fuel off, and if it happens again I'll change out the needle valve and seat.

Quick Reply: Carb question - '01 Xplorer 400 4x4