Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Alky guys, I need help, asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004 | 01:04 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Alky guys, I need help, asap

Ive put my 44 lectron on this week, And havent had much time to tweek it. I know nothing about how alky acts. What does it do when its lean, or rich on bottom. What about rich or lean on top? How does it act? What are some shoot points for egt temps? At idle mid and full throttle?
Rite now It has a big BOG out of the hole, for 20 ft or so.
Theres a race here on sat, so Bubba, Ced, Freak? Help a brutha out!
thanks, a bunch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2004 | 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Do you know how far you needle is out now, they usually start them at 48.5mm. If you don't know where it's at right now, I'd get a dial caliper and measure it. I think you need to lean it out a 1/4 of a turn then see what happens. If you have it in neutral and blip the throttle does it bog! I'd keep it around 1100-1150 at wot on the egt!

Old 10-22-2004 | 09:25 AM
CED
Pro Rider

Just like Polarisfreak said,lean it 1/4 turn at a time till it goes away.I try to run mine as fat as i can.I just switched cylinder's ,and after running alky for over a year now the cylinder looks very good.The piston has some signs of pitting,so be careful with the jetting,you may want to start with the powerjet wide open.

Old 10-22-2004 | 10:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also get the motor warmed up before trying to tune it in. If you set there and let it idle for very long it will load up a bit. A lean idle will be smooth and start raising rpms of the motor (not good with alky at all). The motor should basically sound the same as it would with gas, a good choppy popping idle. You should be able to blip the throttle like Bob said and get a good response. The needle will affect idle, throttle response, and from 1/8 to about 1/2 or little more throttle opening. After that then your powerjet will help feed the need for more fuel. Definitely start with the powerjet at wide open and slowly turn it in 1/4 at a time. But do that as a last adjustment. You need to work on getting a good idle and throttle response first, then wide open last.

Old 10-22-2004 | 02:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks fellas, good replys. I think the motor may have been a lil cold last time. probably a lot of my trouble. And I think im gona use a fresh plug once I get the purge gas out of it. -- So on this needle adjustment, not a good idea to lean it down till it tries to run away then fatten bak up?
I think ill just do it the way u said!
Thanks again, WOOOO I cant wait!

Old 10-22-2004 | 02:23 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Do not lean it that much for sure.Let us know how you like it.

Old 10-22-2004 | 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

It'll only take a few seconds of an extreme lean condition to cause serious problems. Just lean it out a little at a time. Alky makes power at a much richer state than gas so you don't have to lean it as much as gas to get maximum power!

Old 10-22-2004 | 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Right, you can run alky a little fat and it wont fall short of power like gas does. A DEFINITELY DO NOT try to get it lean then go fat. Start fat and go the other way a little bit at a time. If an automatic starts having a runaway you could be into some big trouble.

Old 10-22-2004 | 11:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

Got to do some good test runs in the cornfield today, and all I have to say is- WOW! F--IN WEEEEE!
Dam, it makes torque! Raced my cousin (badazz) just for kicks, and had to let off twice due to wheelies. I hardly ever had it come up on gas with the +5 swingarm not to mention since I lowered it 4 inches.
I think I may still be a tad lean on the needle, cause it reves down fine to around 1800 rpm- stays there, and then it idles.
The thing is if I mess around for a few seconds at low rpms Iand dont clear it out, I get that "blurp blurp" when I launch.
My plug has the wet washed look to it, my power valve is 2 turns down from full. And the w.o.t egt is around 850-900
I think Ill be ok tomorrow for a few runs, Im gona LETER EAT!

Old 10-23-2004 | 12:21 AM
|
Pro Rider

Also forgot to mention, it is very humid here where I live. Its been drizzlin rain for 3 days and today its been cloudy with wind off the water -east. When I take my slide out to adjust my needle, I can see the milk dripping off the slide.
Wonder what effect this will have on tuning?
Thanks again, Brent

Quick Reply: Alky guys, I need help, asap