Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what is the best fuel for atv?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best fuel for atv?

the gas will not burn as effecient if you dont have a higher compression... standerd 87 octane is what you should be using unless you have higher compression...stay with 87...its cheaper and better for the engine

Old 10-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 97RamSST
So you are saying that there will be no difference in performance, except possibly a loss, from running 87 octane to 115?
Yes, you wont gain a single thing but you might lose performance. Actually, if you are trying to run that kind of gas on a low compression machine it will run like crap.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

Well I guess according to Polaris, you are allowed to run 115 in your Scrammy and it won't void the warranty.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Its really noticeable in a 2-stroke if i use anything besides 87 it runs really bad..also i think predetonation can damage you motor...before any one jumps on me thats with a stock motor you can do things to use the higher octain..

Old 10-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Higher octane does not run hotter or colder than regular. Higher octane burns slower so that with advanced timing &/or higher compression, there will be less chance of pinging. I believe the main reason to use 91 octane is because you often cannot hear that a motor is pinging and you could be doing damage. The chances of this occuring are greater if you start modifing your motor by changing things like pipe, air filter, air box, etc. Often the jetting is not properly changed for mods and if running lean there is higher risk of pinging. I do not believe there is any harm that can occur with using high octane. I have road bike that is designed for 87 octane and I occasionally hear that the fuel milage can be slightly better with 87 octane than with 91 octane. This is because the 87 octane burns faster and the motor will not ping because motor has detination sensor that automatically retards spark if it senses pinging. But no harm is done with the 91 octane and motor runs just fine.
If your set up is totally stock and owners manual recomends 87 octane then it could be safe to use 87 octane. With any modifications use 91 octane or higher and be safe.
I will never run non name brand jippo gas in any motorcycle or quad. I believe the chances of getting old or inferior quality gas outways benefit of lower price.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

I doubt the higher octane (91-92) can ever be bad for an ATV. It's true that you may be wasting $$ if QUALITY 87 octane is available. That said.... Here in Minnesota the ONLY ethanol free gas you can buy is 91-92 octane labeled for "off-road and collector cars only". I realize that ethanol blended fuel works ok in my computer controlled daily drivers, but I never put it in ANYTHING ELSE!!! I’ve never had any fuel system problems from old or separated fuel. The blended fuels have a shelf life of 45 – 90 days, after that “son you’re on your own.”

Old 10-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

The only way higher octane gas is useful is if your quad had the ability to advance the timing to take advantage of higher octane fuel. On a stock machine it is totally and absolutely a waste of money.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you live in a very remote area your chances of getting bad gas are negligeable. Its not like it was 20 years or more ago when it was expected that every dozen or so tanks of gas would be bad. Storage and transportation along with refinery have greatly improved and the gasoline reflects it.

Sorry, but in most parts of the US there is no such thing as "no name" or "generic" gasoline. A large percentage of the time gasoline originates from the same pipeline but is sipmly piped to different distributors and trucked to the corresponding station. Some "premium" 87 octane gasolines that originate from some shell, amaco, bp, and other stations is formulated differently with added detergents and other additives. This reflects the price difference, which is typically 1-3 cents per gallon. While these gasolines are theoretically better for engines, there is not significant and verifiable evidence that these changes result in drastic changes in engine life or performance. While some gasolines have been proven to extend efficiency, none have been shown to produce significantly more power or make the engine last longer than any other clean gasoline.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

Here in israel you can either use 95,98 or 96....
98 is the most expensive fuel.... recently i moved from 96 to 98... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

stick to regular 87 octane, what people don't understand is that when you put higher octane fuel into an atv or even your truck/car the engine doesn't burn all the octane anyhow, this can give you a rich mixture due to left over fuel being stuck in the chamber cause it didn't get lit up and now the next combustion will have to burn that too and so on and it can give you black burned valves. if you have a performance kit or something of that nature they will tell you to run higher octane levels if necessary. higher octane in a stock atv is a waste of money in my opinion.

Quick Reply: what is the best fuel for atv?