Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?

flipped my three nwheeler last week on a hill climb going to slow. I have never flipped the quad, yet anyway.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched my dad sportsman do a tumble by itself. We were hunting elk and had found a herd of them. We chased them over to a ledge. We stopped and jumped off to see if we could get a shot. Just as I was bearing down on one. I heard my dad yell OH NO!! I looked to see his quad tumbling off the ledge. Luckily a tree stopped it about half way down. My dad didn't turn his quad off and it creeps forward at idle. So naturally it just kept creeping forward until it reached the edge. my dad had turned to go back and seen his quad going over the edge. I ran down to the quad which the front end was up in the tree and upside down. I just off the gas. We had a long rope we hooked to it. pulled it off the tree and righted it. Then we finished pulling it up the hill. We started it a rode it home. The only damage was the racks and rack extensions, headlight pod, front tie rod, and one front rim.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:11 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Yes one time. Totaled my 2001 Sportsman. Bought a 2002 and no longer climb hills that are TOO steep. Buy insurance itis worth it.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

I never have but have been very close several times, but this guy I know flipped his Explorer twice. Both times were on very steep sandy hills. The one was way too steep to even attempt, I don't know why he ever tried it, but the other one I climbed before I heard about him flipping on it. He didn't get hurt either time and neither did his ATV.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have...

all i gotta say is dont try doing reverse wheelies in 4WD!!!!!

X

Old 11-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Took a fast corner with a flat tire... flipped my ds! cost me a new head light and 1 A-Arm!

Old 11-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I was in the backyard screwing around on my Scrambler, doing some smaller jumps and working my way up to get some skill..

On which would be the last jump of the day, I started out with more speed than the other times, and made a nice jump, and a perfect landing! Then, there was a sharp left corner up ahead, and I ended up steering too far to the left. The quad slid sideways, and I quick threw the handlebars to the right. Unfortunately, it was too much, and I overcorrected and started sliding sideways the other direction. For some real boneheaded reason I applied firm brakes, which is pretty much all it took to fulfill my destiny that afternoon...

My momentum threw me off the front of the quad, and then the quad slammed it's front-left tire into my right shin. The impact broke the bead on the tire, and sent the quad into a roll. When the quad hit my leg, it felt like a motorcycle exhaust burn from my knee all the way down to my ankle. The ATV rolled only a few times and rested on it's side.

I was mostly stunned, but over everything else, the adreanline was pumping! I quickly got up, upright-ed my ATV, and surveyed the damage. Other than the tire almost being completely ripped from the wheel, there was no other damage. When I got home and removed my boots, my leg started to hurt BAD! The next day, I could see the pattern of a Titan AT489 on my right shin! Another day later, my leg from my knee to my ankle was a very, very dark black and blue.

I was wearing full riding gear (i.e., helmet, pants, jersey, Thor entry-level Boots at the time, and knee/shin guards). I figured it saved me from a lot worse injury.

Lessons learned/enforced:
1) Always wear full riding gear. You never know when the worst will happen. It's an inexpensive investment.
2) Always ride with a partner, or at the very least, a cell phone. I didn't have either with me this time, and if I would have ended up breaking a leg or something, it would have been quite an uncomfortable crawl about 1/4 mile back to the truck.

Ride safe out there!

Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

i flipped mine doing doughnuts and hit a dry spot.. it went over on the handlebars and bent the brake and winch rocker thats all tho

Old 11-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

anyone flip over forward going downhill....I know some of the posts above were related, but I mean on a big ole' quad the the sportsman.....if so, what happened. I think the one above where one wheel dips into a hole is the closest I've come to flipping forward....

I've got another one....I was out Coyote hunting, there was about 4 inches of new snow on the groud, I dropped off of a mesa into the lower country. There was an old dirt road i went down, but after going cross country for awhile, i went up what was a dirt bike trail, single track. I had to climb back up on the Mesa. The area was all erroded and I tried to stay on the trail which was washed out on each side, just 'A' shaped. My tires straddled each side. I got about half way up and it was about a 20 foot drop on the right side and I started to slip off and got on the gas in 4 low and it came up on me and my 500 flipped on its side, i was dangling from the one side of the handlebar over the 20 foot edge. i pulled myself back up, righted the ATV and made it up....it would have sucked if I fell and broke a leg or something....always safer riding with someone else that has an ATV...

Old 11-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Text I flipped my 2000 sp 500 a year ago last April. I was climbing sand hills and dunes and having a blast all by myself. I found a nice bank that got steeper as ya ventured to the right, so I ventured right a few times to get steeper slopes. Found the max the machine could do and tried to go one more step...... Well I got within 5 feet of the top in 2 wheel peel when the tires broke loose. when I tried to reach for the 4x4 switch my glove thumb tip hit the gas and over she came. Damn thing flopped right on top of me doing a front rack stand on my chest and ribs. I broke the windshield right off on my helmet facemask and bent the handle bars back and wide open. I however broke 4 ribs and was bruised from neck to belly front and back. It took me quite awhile to regain my breath to see how bad the wheeler was, but it only flipped once with me under it and hit wheels down and rolled rest of way down. I crawled down to it as it sat there idling with windshield hanging off. I crawled on and putted home the 13miles. I had forgotten my cell phone, so noone new where I was to come looking for me. I have to say I am much calmer and cautious now when I am on the wheeler. I still climb hills and jump, but not overwhelmingly gutsy anylonger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Have you flipped your 4-wheeler?