Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
I dont think you quite understand how a CVT (pully style) transmission works Chad. It DOES provide seemless acceleration and an infanite number of "gear ratios". You have one clutch (pully) connected to the crankshaft that turns withthe engine RPM. And the other clutch (pully) connected to the input shaft of the transmission (gearbox). And you have a belt that connects the 2. As you increase engine RPM, there are weights in the primary clutch that overcome the spring pressure from the primary spring and force the moveable sheeve of the clutch in, causing the belt to be forced up the clutch. And the belt is forced up the primary clutch, it is therefore forced down on the secondary clutch. The belt will overcome the spring pressure on the secondary clutch. This is what gives you the infanite gear ratios. That is also what it is called a CONSTANT VARIABLE TRANSMISSION. The gear ratios are contantly changing depending on the postion of the belt. This is all tuneable to riding style and engine power by changing springs, weights, and helixs. The purpose of this type of transmission is to try and keep the engine RPM in its powerband.

Cool, Thanks for the information, that is very helpfull! It all makes since.. Prehaps the Transmission on the Trailboss 330 just needs to serious tuning. The times i have ridden it i just havent been able to get the power to the wheels when i need it.

Though i still don't quite understand 'infanite gear ratios' because the belt goes up and down the 2 pullies right? but that can only make a certain number of different gear ratios, i don't quite get out it could cover every gear ratio possible, there would be thousands...

-ThaChad

Old 11-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

That whole mouse thing was tounge in cheek.. but anyways ya the trail boss doesent get power to the ground because it doesent make much power.. but the cvt tranny does get power to the ground better then a standard tranny it hooks up hard and fast you should see some 150 hp snow mobiles go or some of the modded out 400s that we got and its not just a polaris thing every other manufacturer uses some sort of variable tranny includeing suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki..so dont call it some mouse system because your haveing a hard time with the concept....you should see a V-force line up with about anything its got an amazing holeshot...

Old 11-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: ThaChad
Originally posted by: Bing<br
I dont think any of the other mods would blink twice at booting me out of here for a little while

I do come off the wrong way sometimes,,,,and I will acknowledge it.

It just gets to me when people post a thread because they need help understanding how something operates. Then people who do understand the topic try and help,,,,and they get shot down,,,by the person that was asking for help in the 1st place.

anyhow,,,,as the engine rpms increase,,,,the 'v' shaped sheaves begin to squeeze the 'v' shaped belt causing the drive pulley to rotate

and as the rpms rise further it forces the belt to a higher (larger) portion of the sheaves to effectively highten the gear ratio

Bing: I don't want to make any waves, I have read many posts that you've posted and you are quite helpfull. For the record, i didn't shoot down anyone's help. Everything got set off when the first post "It's a auto, so it has no gears" and "Duh" Neither of those are helpfull, and neither of them were correct information. At that time i was going by the information i knew about Automatic and manual transmissions, this pully technology is new to me, but i don't speciffically follow transmission technologies. Since those 2 posts, others have given me more information to help understand the PVT transmission, and i to my knowledge have not shot down the information i have been given, but asked some more questions to try and understand it a little better..

I do hope that i did not come off in a manor that would offend anyone. As i said Forums are a great source of information, and i just like to try and keep any fights out, because there is no need for anyone to fight.

Anyway, thanks for your explination. I understand it a little more now... Though from what i understand, i still think a automatic transmission with gears would make more since for ATV's being that there are many times when you need to lay the power to the tires, and with this PVT it just doesn't seam like that is going to happen. Atleast not with the TrailBoss 330.. I just don't like not being able to get the power to the ground when i need/want it. As i do with my Z400. Prehaps that's why i have a Z400, and the wife has a TrailBoss 330.

-ThaChad[/quote]

its all good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Julie has had 2 quads,,,,both CVT trannies(trailblazer, scrambler). They are very easy for a beginner to get used to. They are the easiest tranny to operate,,and very forgiving.

If tuned properly,,,can deliver quite a bit of power to the wheels.

Personally, I would agree with you,,,,i like to clutch/shift myself. I cant stand any kind of waiting or belt lag.

pretty much all the Poalris's run the CVT except the predator. Actually, most of the newer utes do as well,,,,including the monster V-Force 700.

The big belt cover is a sure giveaway. Click on the 'Ronnie's' button above to look at the microfiche pictures of the parts diagram to gain a little more perspective.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

You can change clutch springs to get more power to the ground and change the way the transmission works. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

though it is not recommended,

you can take the tranny case cover off and go for a short ride. keeping your leg far away from the rotating clutches, you can look down there and watch the pulleys work.

that in itself will explain the whole concept.

X

Old 11-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Three points.

1) CVT stands for continuously variable transmission not constant

2) To understand how you get an infinite number of ratios, you have to realize that there are no defined "steps" as the pulley moves in and out. It's not that you have an infinite range, but you have an infinite number of ratios within the range. Every billionth of an inch (and even less) that the belt moves up or down in either the drive or driven clutch creates a ratio that is technically different from where the belt just was. Just as the volume control on your stereo might have 10 clicks or it might just rotate smoothly through it's range creating an infinite number of possible positions that it ends up in when you stop turning it.

3) The big benefit of a properly tuned cvt (check out some snowmobile drags) is that it can be set up to allow the engine to maintain a specific rpm while the clutch shifts seamlessly. Rather than have the rpm's rise and fall as you're shifting through gears. In a properly setup drag machine, nailing the gas causes the engine to almost immediately rev to it's max hp rpm and then hang right there throughout the run while the cvt does all the work of accelerating the machine. On a street vehicle like the Nissan Murano, the cvt allows the engine to spend more time at it's most efficient rpm while the transmission responds to changing load and speed requirements.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

ThaChad, Bing has a good point about first time riders liking the CV transmission. I like it for convenience and my wife likes it for simplicity. My wife doesn't have to try to figure out which gear to be in or if she needs to slip the clutch when the trail gets slow. The Polaris also has another feature that first time riders like: the single hand braking. The hand brake on the left handle bar operates all brakes (front and rear) at the same time. The foot brake is only a "safety" brake as it is on a separate hydraulic circuit. My wife does not have to figure out how to properly modulate the front and rear brakes to get the quad to stop without sliding. As far as modifying the clutch shift points, I might modify my own quad, but I wouldn't change my wife's. She might not be as happy with the result as I was. It sounds to me that your wife knew exactly what she wanted and she got it.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

well put Bryce my wife loves her trailblazer also...and i have had alot of fun on it myself. they are great quads...

Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hey T.C. here is some of the best info on these types of trannies. This comes from a gokart place, but the principle is identicle. As a matter of fact the manufacturer is Comet and they produce many CVTs for many applications. Explanation why to use a CVT. and Explanation of how the CVT works. It's good info for all of us. The purpose of the gearbox on most, if not all, atvs is to provide a reverse, low range, and facilitate 4 wheel drive.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
ThaChad, Bing has a good point about first time riders liking the CV transmission. I like it for convenience and my wife likes it for simplicity. My wife doesn't have to try to figure out which gear to be in or if she needs to slip the clutch when the trail gets slow. The Polaris also has another feature that first time riders like: the single hand braking. The hand brake on the left handle bar operates all brakes (front and rear) at the same time. The foot brake is only a "safety" brake as it is on a separate hydraulic circuit. My wife does not have to figure out how to properly modulate the front and rear brakes to get the quad to stop without sliding. As far as modifying the clutch shift points, I might modify my own quad, but I wouldn't change my wife's. She might not be as happy with the result as I was. It sounds to me that your wife knew exactly what she wanted and she got it.
those are all the reasons why the trailblazer and trailboss sell so well.

they are easy bikes to ride,,,,,reliable,,,,simple,,,,,stable,,,,,,,and very cost effective

one button for go,,,,,,one lever for stop

simplicity at its best

keeps the amateur rider focused on where they are going instead of which gear they are in

Quick Reply: TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?