Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what should i do? sincerely, a disgusted polaris owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i do? sincerely, a disgusted polaris owner

Wow. I can't believe all of that can go wrong on a relatively new quad. I would seriously be up at that dealer getting some stuff straight. Something is up. Either you are being fed a load of BS or you got one hell of a lemon. Get another dealer's opinion and contact Polaris. I would let everyone know how p*ssed I am if my quad fell apart like that.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Anywheretom, I bought this quad NEW!!

Anyways, I called the dealer and told them not to do ANY work on it except for the CV Joint which I am unable to fix. That was $220. I ordered the remaining parts online for $115. After close inspection, the tie rod ends had barely any play in them and the rear suspension bushings that they said were ALL bad, only 2 had play in them. And i could not even find a DROP of oil under the differentials.

As for the transmission that is the only concern I have since it is visibily leaking some oil. Rather than a real tough repair, i guess i'll just check the level periodically and add accordingly.

I am still puzzled about that cracked frame......the vertical piece of square tubing under the right front fender is sheared in half. I don't get that one at all...I'll just have my dad's friend weld it.

After a seemingly devistating repair bill, i came out of it paying $370 (including new fluids and spark plugs for a service). Even though the situation turned out to be better than i thought, the quad still has had a lot wrong with it. I guess i'll have to deal with it and just get out there and have a good time riding.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I got a buddy that has a sp600 that his son rides, and basically had the same thing happen to him. It started when the shifter linkage sized inside the tranny, and it wudnt shift into reverse too good. Wich resulted in the bellcrank stripping on the shift shaft.
Its still under warranty, so he took it to his dealer... they told him that both his front and rear diffs were shot because the seals went out- and let mud and water in. But the warranty wont cover the bill (1900) because the warranty dosent cover seals.
Looks like ill be riding my gud ole scrammy for a few more years now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 03 600 and have not had any prob. with mine. I have raced, jumped, pulled, jerked, and worked it with no prob. . The only thing I have done to mine was rejet it so it would run rite. It will pull the front end up in high range with out pulling on it. And in low range it will mouse trap you instantly on dirt or pavement. I keep mine super clean and pull maybe a little more than scheduled maint. on mine.
All in all I couldn't be more happy with mine. Yours is eather a piece or a lemon or your dealer is a crook!

Old 11-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tpalm5
skidood, i was looking at the mudbugs for snow riding her in New York, and fyi i was looking into a brute force earlier in the year due to the problems ive had with the sportsman. Rather than scrutiny, i was looking for some helpful advice. And everybody else Thanks for the help.
I just went from a 700 EFI Polaris (totalled it) to the Brute Force and haven't really been able to ride it since I bought it. There was a recall on the a-arm bolt, the front carb has the wrong needle and misses at low RPMs, now the actuator module is bad and it won't go into 4wd, and the engine braking actuator won't shut off. I am 41 years old and have only 10 "break in" hours on it. It's never been in the mud, water, just dust and I swear to G the worst thing I've done to this quad so far is back it out of the truck on ramps. I'm sitting here now wishing I would have bought the Polaris again, but just to show you, all manufacturers have problems. Don't think the Brute Force will be trouble free. I can't wait to see what starts breaking on this thing once I can really ride it!

Old 11-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

BF750 so how many miles you have on yours so far? I have 200 on mine and haven't had any problem at all other than having the needle replaced in the front carb to match the rear carb. Other than burning gas but who buying a wheelie machine that is concerned with gas comsumption!

Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

In Michigan,were im from,Polaris does not hold good resale value.I work at an ATV Dealership part time,and we dont even want to take them in for trade-in unless we can steal them.There just to hard to re-sale.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Muddy,
How much more of a percentage do Polaris ATV's lose off there MSRP than other ATV"S as specified by the NADA Used ATV Values? Is this after one year? two? Compared to what? If Polaris are so bad then which ATV according to the NADA book retains more of its MSRP?

Old 11-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe it depends on what part of the country you live, but from what I have seen Polaris does really well, and probably better than the other brands.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Honda,without a doubt,retains the most resale value of all ATVs where im from.My buddie Jeff just sold his 2003 Grizz that was well equipped with a 2500 Warn winch,Montana Jack mounting system,stick gaurds,hand gaurds,and radial tires[forget which brand?]and 3000 miles...He got 4500.00 for the Grizz and it took for what seemed like forever,to sell it for that price.

I just sold my 2003 Honda Rincon[1800 miles] with nothing except AP Stik gaurds and K/N Filter for 5650.00.

NADA on my Rincon was 5950.00 and the 2003 Grizz was about 4300.00.

NADA is not allways correct.Many prices may VARY by your location ect?

Quick Reply: what should i do? sincerely, a disgusted polaris owner