Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Kimpex Grip Heaters for ATV Trunk...wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kimpex Grip Heaters for ATV Trunk...wiring??

Just bought some new Kimpex ATV Trunk Grip Heaters, and wondering about wiring them. You use a four-way connector that you wire into the ATV Trunk brake light and there is a fourth wire which is a fused power wire for the Grip Heaters. Can you just tap in to the taillight wire inside the trunk for the extra green wire, or should you run a to a separate power source. I just got done wiring the trunk brake light in conduit and was hoping to keep that the same. I am not an electrical expert, so any help would be great. I have a 2002 Polaris 500 HO Extreme. Has a winch that can be moved to front or back, should I tap in to the rear winch solenoid for the green wire power? Part number for the Grip heaters is Kimpex 058464, they are awesome complete grips with a rheostat dial. Nice wiring, just confused on the green extra power wire. Thanx for looking and thanx in advance for helping.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Should I post this in a general category? How would anyone wire them to their Sportsman if they were front grips? I am new to this and do not want to ruin my ride. Thanx for your help in advance.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure how yours work, but I put the heaters on my 250 by tapping into the accessory 12v wire under the hood, which is switched. only on sportsmans, they have a cigarette lighter plug on that circuit, so i guess you could cut and splice or use an insulation-piercing connector to tap in. I dont think you can use the brakelight because it has two intensities, running light and braking light, you would need a steady 12 volt power source, making sure it is after the key so it turns off when the quad is off.

In the instructions for the heater it should say what that green wire is for ie positive or ground. It would help if you told us all of the power wires coming off of the heaters

Old 11-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for responding. There are a ground and power coming off each grip. These have nice connectors that plug into a singe ground and fused power wire. These attach to the ground (white) and power wire (green) on a four flat pin trailer harness that you integrate into your ATV trunk brake light harness. You use the brown for the brake light, yellow for the taillight and white for the ground. I currently have the ATV brake light wired to the Sportsman brake light though a three way flat T-system that uses a couple of three flat plugs so that I did not have to tap into the wiring. Someone asked me where I bought this wiring set-up, because you can unplug the single three pin I have just below the trunk and lift it off the bike without having to undo wiring. So in the interest of my nice work there, I was wondering if I can combine the green power wire for the grips with the taillight wire for the ATV brake light, since it is on all the time when the key is on, but shuts off when the key is off. My concern was that this single wire would not be able to handle the taillight and the grip heaters. I saw posts that said you can run off the accessory or the accessory fuse when grips are up front, I was wondering what you do in the rear without running a wire all the way up front. As mentioned I do have the Warn winch that can be on the front or back, with a nice power source right below the trunk. Thanx for reading my long winded message.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

No problem.
The thing is, you need to find a 12v power source, keyed, that is always on when the key is on. THe brakelight has two settings - running (dim) and braking (bright) so i do not think that would help. As for the winch, you would have to find the 12v source, which is before the solenoid. Does your dual winch setup use two solenoids, or one? If it had two, then tapping into the power before it entered the rear solenoid would seem logical to me, but check with someone who has any idea what they are talking about first (unlike me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]). Then get a connector to unplug it with and everything should work ok.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

That worked, thank you. Found big red cable going to solenoid in back that was power with just key on. Wrapped all my wires in separate CAT6 blue cable to match the bike. Asked again if factory made the cables and where they can order them. The grips work awesome and are Kimpex #058464 for the deluxe trunk from Outdoorsman ATV. The right grip wire was too short, e-mailed Kimpex and they are sending me an extension for free. One was supposed to be in the box, but wasn't. Separated brake light wiring in back and used another three flat to run to trunk. Spliced these wires with the four way connector Kimpex provided and ran the power wire to the rear winch solenoid. Thanx for your help. This Forum is awesome!!!

Old 11-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Ha no problem. I'm addicted, i read every post every day lol. There are some real experienced people here more than willing to help