Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Moose or CycleCountry state plow

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2000, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody familiar with these? I have a 700 foot
driveway and want to purchase a plow for my sportsman 500.

Old 09-03-2000, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

No personal experience but I have been following previous posts on the subject.

The Moose plow is one tough plow from what I have heard.

Many are using the standard Cycle Country plow and like it. The Cycle Country (E)state plow looks interesting but, as others have pointed out in the past it is intended to wing the snow off one side of the plow only. This would not be attractive to me.

My choice would be the Moose plow with a rubber snow deflector on top. The deflector would allow windrowing in either direction and help the snow to curl over at speed.

That said, the Moose plow is the most expensive plow where I live. I could almost buy 2 Polaris plows for the price.

A post the other day mentioned that Polaris has a new plow this year that, I gather, pushes from the trailer hitch point at the rear. This eliminates the standard plow mount that fits under the machine and eats up ground clearance.

There was some discussion about the Polaris plows bending at the corners if you hook something solid. Others mentioned their Polaris plows work well.

My vote is still with the Moose.

DJ

Old 09-03-2000, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 48" cycle country plow mounted on my '00' SP 500, and have it hooked up to the winch. It works fine, pushes quite a bit of snow. I don't know what kind of 4x you own, but someone had a post last week about a new set-up Polaris came out with. Good luck.
Ron

Old 09-04-2000, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 60" MOOSE County Plow on my 450es and use my winch to lift it. This plow is very well built and heavier then the others so it will stay down better in the snow. The county plow is also a wing plow design, but can plow off either side if you wish (can be angled either way). The low side of the blade is the same height as the standard plows, but the high side is 26" and has the rubber flap on top of that. This plow is also suppose to have a different curve to it then the standard blade so as to roll the snow off better. So far I have only pushed gravel with it and it works well for that too.

Deej.....I got the Moose County Plow from my local dealer for $699 CDN, My riding partner's Kimpex standard 50" plow cost more up here.

Old 09-04-2000, 07:05 AM
Trailblazer

slewpumper,
I have the Polaris 48" with the rubber top to keep snow from coming over the blade. I have hooked stumps rocks etc and never bent the plow or frame. I think my tie rod will break before the plow will bend. I am very happy with mine! Last year we had over seven feet of powder snow.

Old 09-06-2000, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

You did not say if you have a winch? If you do, I saw a great deal for you at ATVGEAR.COM. They have a Cycle country plow package $192.00 for the 48" and $221.00 for the 60". They show that they don't have the one for your quad, but what they are not telling you is only the lift and mount are different. The push tubes and the blade are universal, only the mount and lift are specific. You can order a mount and use your winch to lift it, if you have one. The mount will run $39.95 retail. Throw the other stuff on line for sale and end up paying less than $200.00 for the 60"!
If you buy the one for the 95' Sportsman or a 99' Trail Boss and want to sell the stuff that doesn't fit, e-mail me, I might be interested.
Ingoldx1
95' Sportsman, for me
99' Trail Boss, for the wife?

Old 09-06-2000, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 60 inch Moose on my XT Traxter.

Last winter I used the same plow on my Sportsman. I found the extra width was helpful as I was pushing snow with the plow angled. The narrower plow would have cut too narrow a path for the quad not to leave hard pack snow the exact width of the plow. It would have been an even bigger problem with the XT being wider than the Sportsman. Unless you're planning on pushing straight ahead, it's something to consider.

The Moose plow was phenomenal for the bit of snow we had here. The rubber deflector is well worth the extra cost.

After fiddling this weekend putting the bracket on the XT I found the winch is S-L-O-W for lifting the plow. If I had the option, I'd love a manual lift for speeds sake. Damn Bombardier.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Old 09-08-2000, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Who knows anything about this new Polaris plow mount?.
I talked to a dealer yesterday and he was still selling the mount that hangs down under the frame. You loose about 1 1/2" of clearence.
Might as well have a honda (joke).
It would be nice to have a mount that was removable.