Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My CHAIN SNAPPED:(

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CHAIN SNAPPED:(

Jack up the quad(under skid plate, not swing arm).......and hang onto both tires(from behind) and wiggle them back and forth......see if there is any play in the swing arm, up towards the gearbox.......if it moves, then that is likely your reason for the break. On my old sport I had troubles keeping the bolts tight(I ended up welding them in).....and they were always throwing chains. I got lucky and never broke a case, but I did have to replace 4 chains(at about 65 bucks a piece).......

Old 11-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ftwflh
Originally posted by: tbsleeper
Originally posted by: ftwflh
Make sure the chain is running true on the sprockets.Like said before you could have a swingarm or rear axle bearing problem.
no that couldnt be it i have never snapped a chain and ive had bearing problems monthly.

u just got bad luck get another chain put it on and make sure everything looks ok....do u jump this quad??? cuz that will eventually break the links if u dont have a chain tensor
I have been around A lot longer than you have and bad axle or swingarm bearings CAN throw your chain in a bind that WILL snap it
i no uve been around longer theres no doubt about that but i HAVE NEVER broken a chain due to teh bearings goin and AND i have had both of my bearings shred apart and still drive it 2 miles wit it like that NO problems

Old 11-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Jack up the quad(under skid plate, not swing arm).......and hang onto both tires(from behind) and wiggle them back and forth......see if there is any play in the swing arm, up towards the gearbox.......if it moves, then that is likely your reason for the break. On my old sport I had troubles keeping the bolts tight(I ended up welding them in).....and they were always throwing chains. I got lucky and never broke a case, but I did have to replace 4 chains(at about 65 bucks a piece).......
is that because of the bolts on the swingarm?? i seem to have a lil play up towards the bolts the whoel swingarm moves a lil??

Old 11-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Off topic - i apologize
But if i broke a chain on either of my 250's, which have awd (they are sort of like 250 scramblers) would the front wheels theoretically still drive forward, allowing you to still limp home? i know if it worked it would be very difficult to steer, and put a lot of stress on the front driveshafts, but ive always wondered that.... again, sorry its threadstealing

Old 11-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

ya it would work my bro did that wit our 400 4x4

Old 11-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

cool thx

Old 11-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

We'll. We tried a few things and I have a couple questions now.

1. Is the output shaft sprockit supposed to wiggle around? Its quite loose.
2. The chain doesn't look to be running true when its on there. Is it supposed to run perfectly parallel to the output shaft?
3. Whats a good chain worth?
4. Why a O-Ring chain?
5. Why don't I have a skid plate by the rear sprocket?

Sorry for the Q's, but I'm just quad illiterate.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

1. it will slide back and forth but not wiggle like its to big on the shaft.
2. it should run perfectly straight
3. no idea always ran teh stock one
4. just cuz by the way check if any of ur o-rings are missing!!
5. u should have a steel disc around it

Old 11-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

If you dont have a chain guard you could have hit the chain on anything and helped cause it to break.You need either the stock disc by the sprocket or if you dont run a chain tensioner a DG swingarm guard is good .But you cant use a tensioner with it.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Could donuts break the chain?

Quick Reply: My CHAIN SNAPPED:(