Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

winches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 02:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking for reccomendations on a winch for 2000 sportsman500...lots of mud riding....looking for something that the mud won't get into and destroy it...are all winches sealed from water and mud? thanks

Old 09-05-2000, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Look for the new front and rear quick winch mount kits Polaris has coming out. Really trick. The elements won't hurt the winch.

Old 09-05-2000, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

mngoat

You will want a Warn winch. I have submersed mine in mud over the entire winch and have not had a one problem with it yet. I have the Warn A2000. I would go with the Warn A2500 with the removable switch. The 2000 lb is plenty of power, but why not have the biggest available. You will never be sorry with a Warn purchase.

Old 09-05-2000, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

MnGoat:
ChopperBill and MagMudMan are both right. (Well, to a point anyway) I would recommend the Warn winch for sure, either the 2000, or 2500. I've got the 2000 on the front of the 'Cat and have pulled more stuff than I would ever have imagined with the help of a ****** block. ChopperBill is right about the front/rear thing. I haven't seen what the Polaris setup looks like, but if I were to do it over again, I'd have put a removeable bracket up front, and another in the back to have the option to winch from either side. It's a real pain to run a ****** block underneath the quad to pull from a tree that is behind you, when you're buried in mud.

I said they were right, to a point. To clarify this, what I meant was that MMM said to go for the biggest. This is not necessary for a few different reasons. You can buy the A2000, then upgrade to the 2500 if you like, though the kit is something like an additional $175 or something. Can't remember for sure. The 2500 does have a higher pull rating, and a little nicer switch, though when you get down to the amperage ratings, and the actual power draw incurred from each winch, it really doesn't make any difference at all how big you have, wether it be a 2000 lbs, or a 12,000 lbs winch.

The reason I say this is because the amount of power draw required for the A2000 to pull at it's full rated pull (ie 2000 lbs.) it takes something close to 100 amps, if I remember right. Now, there isn't a single atv on the market with an alternator or battery that is even close to being capable of putting out this kind of power. If I remember right, the power that the atv can put out, even with the engine revved, is something less than half of what the winch actually requires for a full power draw. Then, you also have to take into account the reserve energy and battery drain. Continuously running the winch will severly drain the battery, which will also further lower your rated pull in actual weight references.

I'm sorry I can't tell you the exact power requirements, but I think you get the point. I'm hoping Tree Farmer (i.e. Winch God) posts something in response to your topic, as he knows for sure, and can explain this far better than I. As for which winch to go with? Well, that is another Ford/Chev/Dodge or AC/Polaris/Honda thing. I personnally prefer the Warn by far. I say this for the simple fact that I've had experience with the entire line of Warn winches from the A2000, all the way up to the big 12,000 lbs. winches over the last 10 years or so, if not more.

Granted, you do pay more for the Warn than the Superwinch for instance, but I believe the extra cost is well worth the insurance. For example, a buddy and I had a Warn XD9000i on the front of a Jeep. We bought it brand new and used it for over a year and half or so, can't remember for sure. We beat the hell out of the winch, and about 6 months to a year after the warranty expired, we had a failure. One of the gears had stripped, and it no longer would pull. Warn had us send it back to them via UPS. About a month later, we got our winch back, completely rebuilt, with a reimburesment check for the original UPS shipment to them. It didn't cost us a dime. Warn said that one of the main gears had stripped prematurely, and even though it was out of the warranty period, that should not have happened, that they were very sorry about the problem. I've always liked Warn winches, but after the excellent customer service we received in this situation, I'll always be a Warn fan.

Whatever winch you choose to go with, and however big or small you intend to go, I would definately recommend getting a ****** block. It essentially cuts the power requirement of the winch in half, which basically doubles your pulling power. So, with a Warn A2000 and a ****** block, you've now got a rated possible 4,000 lbs pull. Seeing as how your atv weighs in around 700 or so, thats more than enough to get the job done. They just make life so much easier. Also allows for really neat winch tricks in side pulling or other tricky situations where a strait line pull is not possible.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Mike

Old 09-05-2000, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cowboy flatters me; I blush!

Warn A2500 and A2000 have identical motors and geartrains; Superwinch ATV2000 and T1500 have identical motors and geartrains; with a ****** block, any one of these winches is adequate for your ATV requirement.

Of these winches, only the ATV2000 comes with an internal spring brake standard; extra cost on all others; may be useful if you use the winch to raise a snowplow.

Both Warn and Superwinch manufacture excellent products and provide outstanding customers support.

Only a Rule (a rather expensive marine winch) is waterproof; however, as mentioned on this topic, water and mud of normal ATV application does little harm.

If cost matters, you can save on your winch setup by using a hawse fairlead instead of a roller fairlead; a hawse fairlead works just fine for ATVing.

Happy winching!

Tree Farmer

Old 09-05-2000, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

What is a snatchblock????

Old 09-05-2000, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

To xplor, There is more then one kind or style ****** block. But basically, its a pully with a hook on it. You can hook it to something out in front of your stuck atv. Run the winch cable through it, as it will have a removable pin so it will come apart. run the cable through it. put it back together and run the winch cable back to your atv. The pulley will double the pulling power. Once recently, I was so stuck that my winch alone could not pull out my xped. if i had been alone, i would have used my ****** block. instead. i hooked my winch to the atv infront of me and i winched, drove my atv, and the atv in front pulled also. the combination got me out. rangerchet

Old 09-05-2000, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

I ordered a Warn A2500 from atvpartsdepot.com last week. I ordered it online and then a couple hours later they called and told me they were on back order and expected them in two weeks. Well, They called today and said the winches were in and they were shipping mine out today. These guys seem like they really care about customer service, something hard to find nowadays...... Oh yea, they sell the A2000 for $279.00 and the A2500 for $339.00, they also have mounts!

Old 09-05-2000, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Superwinch= Supercrap. I don't see how this company is still in business.

Stick with Warn.

Old 09-06-2000, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

THIS SPING IF THEY HAVE THE FREE WINCH OFFER CAN YOU GET THE A2500 FOR UP GRADE AND HOW MUCH. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? DAN 96 500