Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 scrambler chain tightening 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 04:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 scrambler chain tightening 101

for the less informed (me) how in the hell do you tighten the chain? the owners manual is worthless for instance step 4) loosening the caliper mounting bracket.... where is that shown in the picture? step 5) pinch pin insertion. where? how in the hell do you do this? this has to be the most backassward procedure written. thanks for the help.

Old 11-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Pro Rider

1. Loosen the two 5/8" bolts holding the axle carrier. Part #27 in this DIAGRAM
2. loosen the 1/2" bolt that is on the brake caliper.(there are two-but just do the one you can see from the rear)
Part # 12 in this DIAGRAM
3. Insert a pin or screw driver in the hole in the rear sprocket until it drop into the axle carrier. Or use a large set of channel locks or pipe wrench on the hex part of the axle carrier.
4. Rotate the axle carrier. (if you used the pin through the sprocket rotate the rear wheels to rotate the carrier. If your using a wrench just turn the carrier) I'm not sure off the top of my head on which way to turn, but it will be obvious once you get it turning.
5. Compress rear, get the right amount of tension by rotating the carrier.
6. tighten back up the rear clamp bolts(5/8) and the rear brake caliper(1/2).
7. Crack open a beer/pop and pat yourself on the back and tell all your friends how mechanically inclined you are.lol

Old 11-21-2004, 04:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: fishslab
1. Loosen the two 5/8" bolts holding the axle carrier.
2. loosen the 1/2" bolt that is on the brake caliper.(there are two-but just do the one you can see from the rear)
3. Insert a pin or screw driver in the hole in the rear sprocket until it drop into the axle carrier. Or use a large set of channel locks or pipe wrench on the hex part of the axle carrier.
4. Rotate the axle carrier. (if you used the pin through the sprocket rotate the rear wheels to rotate the carrier. If your using a wrench just turn the carrier) I'm not sure off the top of my head on which way to turn, but it will be obvious once you get it turning.
7. Crack open a beer/pop and pat yourself on the back and tell all your friends how mechanically inclined you are.lol
#7 is the best part[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2004, 04:56 AM
Trailblazer

I was performing #7 until I became pissed at the manual, I hate tech data that is vague, I have worked on numerous products and if the tech data is good its a snap but this was frustrating as I am trying to get the quad set up for a oong haul to washington for the holidays, thanks for the info and now its back to step #7!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2004, 04:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: 71stang99
I was performing #7 until I became pissed at the manual, I hate tech data that is vague, I have worked on numerous products and if the tech data is good its a snap but this was frustrating as I am trying to get the quad set up for a oong haul to washington for the holidays, thanks for the info and now its back to step #7!!!!!!!!!
where in washington are you going?

Old 11-21-2004, 05:03 AM
Pro Rider

Did I explain it any better than the manual? Let me know if I can explain it any better. I could use some #7 my self. lol
I updated my steps to include some links to some diagrams. Hope they help.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:12 AM
Trailblazer

I am heading ~55 miles north of Spokane leaving tomarrow in the AM, I was trying to get this quad ready for the trip, its where I am from so I like to get up there and visit family and cruise the mountains. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2004, 05:27 AM
Trailblazer

Here is my virtual beer for your help, it took ~1 minute once I read that you could use channel lock on the axel carrier, why mess with the 'pin'? Thanks guys!

Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fishslab
1. Loosen the two 5/8" bolts holding the axle carrier. Part #27 in <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1101026966-22016&P=ATV-2003-SCRAMBLER-500-4X4-SWING-ARM-SHOCK-MOUNTING" target=blank>this DIAGRAM</A>
Part # 12 in <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1101026966-22016&P=ATV-2003-SCRAMBLER-500-4X4-REAR-CALIPER-MOUNTING" target=blank>this DIAGRAM</A>
You did an excellent job explaining it. I haven't had to do it to mine yet, but I was told it was that easy. The manuals don't do a good job explaining it. I usually place step 7 in between each step. You don't want to miss anything right!

Old 11-21-2004, 01:36 PM
LLL
Weekend Warrior

I always use the channel lock way on mine. It is the easiest chain adjustment of any machine i have ever seen. No way possible to get a crooked axle.

Quick Reply: 04 scrambler chain tightening 101