Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheel Lean on SP 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that the right rear wheel leans in at the top (camber?) but the left one is straight. The front tires also lean in at the top. I was like that when I bought it new, but I didn't realize it till I had it home for a few weeks. No big deal, just wondering if the rear should/could be adjusted. I can't find any adjustment on the suspension to adjust.

Just did my first service and counted 24 grease fittings. They're not that bad once you figure out how to contort youself to get to some of them. I think that's great that it can be serviced rather than just replace parts when they wear out.

Old 09-06-2000, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

My 98SP500 also had a wheel that leaned slightly. I guess it is just a sign of poor Polaris quality control.

Greg

Old 09-06-2000, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

My 98 also leaned must hjave been a common problem that machine was a proplem machine itself if it could go wrong it would.

Old 09-06-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

The rear wheel top lean in (camber) can be adjusted to some extent by cranking up the preload on the individual springs on the rear of the Sportsman.

If you adjust the springs up all the way and it still leans you will need to move up to the optional 140 lb. springs.

The front struts do not have a preload adjustment but you could try spacers on the top of the strut or trading up to the 101 lb. springs.

If the top of your wheels are leaning in you are not utilizing the maximum amount of ground clearance built into the machines.

The camber of the rear wheels should be observed while in motion on a smooth flat surface by another person.

Old 09-06-2000, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thor,
Stiffening up the springs on the rear of a Sportsman will make no difference in how the tire leans. I am guessing that you are taking the knowledge you have of the front end and applying it to the rear. The problem with that is the front uses struts and a sigle a-arm. The rear uses shocks and a double a-arm. Where lifting the front changes the angle, it does not on the rear.

Think about it for a minute and you will understand what I am talking about. (Or go look at one)

Greg

Old 09-06-2000, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

OK heres the scoop. Polaris makes machines in option 1,2 and 3. 1 is for left hand hills. 2 is for right hand hills. 3 is for staight up the hill. Honestly I don't know what the deal is. Mine appears to set a little catty-whompus (is that a word) when it is setting in the garage. I kind of figured it was my Blackwaters because I didn't notice it with the stockers. Can just a small amount off air difference cause a slight lean?

Old 09-06-2000, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

On mine, I am not talking about the bike leaning due to air pressure. Both wheels had 7 lbs and one was leaning. It is due to poor workmanship on Polaris's part. I have seen it on many bikes. I even replaced my rear bearing to see if that was part of the problem and it wasn't.

Greg

Old 09-06-2000, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

HEY BILL
IT's KITTY<owed you that one LOL CM

Old 09-06-2000, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

CM & Chopper Bill,

You guys will treat a HOnda guy right if I move out your way ........won't you? Actually Time Warner purchased our Company & they are located in Denver. I hope you guys sell sleds because there is a RMK700 with my name on it.

Old 09-07-2000, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

I think that any wheel lean on the rear suspension is due to manufacturing tolerances. There dose'nt appear to be any adjustments on the A-arms for camber. I'm sure its no big deal. From all your posts, I guess I'm not he only one.
Thanks for all your replies.

Quick Reply: Wheel Lean on SP 500