Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

clutch spring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch spring questions

just wondering if just switching the springs makes a big differance to a stock o4 scrambler if so what spring and what is a good color spring, like to do wheelies and race around but also ride trails in woods with my kids or should i spend the extra money and just get a clutch kit?

Old 11-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, you can get a whole kit for best results, but if you want to go the cheaper route, then get a Polaris white primary spring, and an HPD violet secondary spring set on 2-2 (since you ride trails). It will lower your top end some with the 2-2 setting, but it will be much more responsive on the trails. The white primary spring will raise your clutch engagement and make wheelies instant.

Old 11-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the white Polaris primary spring before spending alot of $$$$ on a complete kit.The 500s are basicly tuned to the way you want to ride so if you want to see theresults and what they do start with a white spring and run it awhile,then set your secondary to 2-2 ,then go from there.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

yup white is good to start with helped my HO out

Old 11-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

is it a big job to change the spring and do you need any special tool just changed my belt cant remember what it looked like.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

VEry simple all you need is a 7/16 th socket,ratchet and a 5/8 wrench and a small piece of wood.But it really needs to be torqued when you put it back together.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

BigBadScrambler and ftwflh

I am in need of some information, My Wife has a 04 Scrambler 500 4X4 and she likes to run in the mud and trails.

Top speed is not of concern, for she will not top it out. What I am looking for is bottom end.

I have put the secondary spring in the 2-2 position, but my butt dyno is a little out of calabration and I really didnt notice any thing.

What should I have gained by going to the 2-2 position?

What does going to the white in the primary do for me? Will she have to rev it more to get it going? if so will it rev up and have a harsh engagement?

Thank You
Brian

Old 10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Bri7070
BigBadScrambler and ftwflh

I am in need of some information, My Wife has a 04 Scrambler 500 4X4 and she likes to run in the mud and trails.

Top speed is not of concern, for she will not top it out. What I am looking for is bottom end.

I have put the secondary spring in the 2-2 position, but my butt dyno is a little out of calabration and I really didnt notice any thing.

What should I have gained by going to the 2-2 position?

What does going to the white in the primary do for me? Will she have to rev it more to get it going? if so will it rev up and have a harsh engagement?

Thank You
Brian

THe 2-2 setting gives a better backshift.I would go with a Dalton blk/white primary spring whick is a lttle higher engaging but easy to get used to.If you dont want any higher engagment go with the EPI pink spring.It wil give more mid-top power.But with less snap than the dalton spring or the polaris white.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

ftwflh,

the term backshift would that be the same as downshift for a non cvt? if so the 2-2 position would make the quad more responsive when coasting down from speed and then getting back on the throttle?

What is the torque curve of a 500 scrambler look like? Would a lower engaguement make for a better crawler, or would you be far below the torque that it would be a dog?

Is there a guide to cvt for dummies out there?

Thank You
Brian

Old 10-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
Well, you can get a whole kit for best results, but if you want to go the cheaper route, then get a Polaris white primary spring, and an HPD violet secondary spring set on 2-2 (since you ride trails). It will lower your top end some with the 2-2 setting, but it will be much more responsive on the trails. The white primary spring will raise your clutch engagement and make wheelies instant.

what happens if you install a white primary & do nothing to the secondary (leave it stock) ?

Quick Reply: clutch spring questions