Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Family riding in CO

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4monk;just sent you two video e-mail .will try to get some more pic's posted for you. CM

Old 09-14-2000, 12:27 AM
Range Rover

ChickenMan,

Watched the videos and all I have to say is that now I'm more jealous than ever. We weren't planning on bringing the ATV's out to Colorado till next spring, but I'm not sure I'll be able to wait that long.... Hmmm...

BTW, how are you mounting that red gas can on your rear rack? Does the gas sloshing around bother your riding?

Bought a couple of books from Amazon.com on Colorado four wheel drive trails so I could bone up on these places you all are talking about.

Now, if I could just get my mind off of these ATV's and riding in the hills and get some work done....

Old 09-14-2000, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

That was a grizz,that young guy was rideing.I don't carry gas but if I was I think i'd have one of them fuel packs.I used to carry cans on the back of snowmobile but never felt it slosh.Trouble with haveing the camcorder I get everyone else in action but me.I was real proud of BRAD on that grizz he really hung in there,as always the obsticale was worse than the film shows.Poopsie says I was more excited than he was.Sorry about them being so short but if any longer your e-mail will kick them out.I'm working on web page that I can post movies so will be longer and open with QUICK TIME.I wouldn't even think of coming out without them quads,Chopper and I'll show you good time,and you'll be glad you did.I'm trying to get him to head back up to HOLLY CROSS CITY with me shortly,so we can get some real action shots.CM

Old 09-29-2000, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i guess i`de like some opinions on how to do real extreme steep spots,,rock faces,ledges,,ect. i grew up on a dirt bike & just bought my quad last winter. i already figured out how to roll it on the trail when a root grabs the front wheel at a fast pace,,now i want to learn how to reeaally put a crimp in my schlitz can by rolling over backwards. okay,,seriously,, i was wondering if standing and leaning way forward is better than staying seated and moving forward?? it seems i can get more weight forward standing,but it raises the center of gravity more. i ask this because my friend flipped his quad this summer in the bottom of hackett gulch on a rock ledge section & broke his femur. i know quads can do real steep stuff, i would like opinions on the best way.( i will gather all responses and determine the majority consensus. if my next typing is erratic & misspelled, then you know i am typing with a pencil in my teeth because of several broken limbs and will probably not ask anymore advise,,lol!!

Old 09-29-2000, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

PO400 well guess everyone has thier own way to handle things myself,I guess it come from snowmobiling,but I get up on my feet and if have to stand on one side or the other.I just feel better and more in control or maybe its just that I can bail out quicker!!!!!I'll be riding with Quad Dusters next weekend at REDCONE,your welcome to come along.Tim Prospector lives pretty close to you just east of CO SPRINGS.If it don't snow real soon my make a ride at RAMPART RANGE before putting them away.CM

Old 09-30-2000, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the input,CM, ill be at cedar mtn road this weekend,,let me know about a rampart ride!! i am a short distance from raibow falls,,but i may be able to meet you at sprucewood or on rampart range road somewhere.ride in snow?? as the saying goes" i dont need no stinkin snowmobile!,i have 4wd!" lol! the best fun ive had on this quad was new years day around cedar mtn road out of divide. what a blast,,but it doesnt compare to snomobiling in ddeeeeppp snow anywhere else,,that is the ultimate in motorized winter fun.

Old 10-11-2000, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

I'd like to know what kind of riding is available in Commanche and Pawnee National Grasslands. I know that the Royal Gorge ATV club has a ride coming up at Commanche.

Are there trails through these areas or is it ride where ever you want? These are large areas, what is a good staging location?

Old 10-12-2000, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

This is the best thread I've seen yet. Thanks for all the info. We flatlanders (Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois) are planning a trek to Colorado to ride in the spring. We're 100% Polaris with 3 or 4 Scrambler's (400 and 500's), a Sp500, an Xplorer 400 and a few Magnum's, all 4x4. Looking for some fun, yet challenging riding. Fort Collins area works well for us, because it's pretty close. Are ATV's allowed on all Jeep trails? I've got some friends that ride Rampart, but I've never been there. How soon will the snow be gone in the spring so we can hit the back country?

Thanks,

Russ

Old 10-12-2000, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

rpatten see your from some familar territory,used to live in DES MOINES and worked for LUKE BROS floor covering there in ANKENY several years.To answer some of your questions yes you can ride all the jeep roads,there are many just pick area and we'll give you some insight.Tell me how challengeing you want and I'll head you that way.The FT Collins area is good place to start,you can head up the canyon and find plenty places to ride.If was me I'd wait till JULY,that way most of the snow will be gone by that time except real high.Just feel free to e-mail me at anytime will help all I can.CM

Old 10-12-2000, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, po400, I graduated in 1978 from WPHS, before leaving the state when I joined Uncle Sam's Misguided Children! Where do you live, and how long have you been there? I still have family there. Maybe I'll look you up next year when I visit...

Quick Reply: Family riding in CO