Another Boot Ripped!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Boot Ripped!!!!!

Originally posted by: spyder6
Originally posted by: tyler711
You mean wrap the whole area with all holy duct tape? Like around both the upper and lower control arms?
Its weird, because every time it has been the outside boot, except once was the front, but that was probably a stick. Thanks

im really thinking its something on the inside, but yeah, just maybe wrap the A-arms AROUND the shaft and the boot so if anything cuts the duct tape you'll know its an external item (dont wrap the boot itself
Yep ill try that. at least i can change the boot in twenty minutes now, as long as the wheelers in a good mood.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

the best way to clean your CV is with mineral spirit soultion... i took everything apart and cleaned it seperatly and then threw it back together, i also got to see how worn down the cvs were

Old 12-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

So will the denatured alchohol hurt anything in there? Is there any rubber or plastic, like for seals or bushings, or is it all metal.

My OEM boots seem very soft and pliable, i don't think it is the boot that has the problem. Weird, though, because it has been the outside rears that rip every time.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

I'm not really familiar with that alcohol solvent. But I would guess no. I would recommend that you try it on one of your old torn boots first. Put some in a jar and cut a piece of the old boot and let it soak over night. Then take it out and check it for pliability. Alcohol is usually used since it evaporates 100% once exposed to the air. So this would be the extreme test. All of the seals and boots are made of neoprene so this should be a good test for all of these components.
I had a similar problem with some boots for an automotive application. The boots would tear right at the crease or sharp corner of the ribs. Is that what happened to yours? Let me know and I'll find out from the manufacture what they found to be the problem with those.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

i dont think the alchohol would get on the boot, like you said it evaporrates fast, so after the joint was clean, there wouldnt be any left to melt the boot. Your right, though, testing it on an old boot would be a good idea.

My OEM boots are ripping in the inside fold in the rib, the concave fold.

Hmm i just tried making an ASCII boot in here, but it didnt work. So all i can say is that it rips where the circumference of the boot is the smallest, inside the ridge.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah i agree. Before i had the cv boot guards, i thought that because the boot was always bent (suspension not compressed, as explained in my above post) that stuff was getting "sucked in" betweem the two rotating ribs of the boot, like those old fashioned clothes drying things with the two rollers the three stooges always roll their hands in. I am not home right now, but when i get home i'll take a picture and send it to you. Thank you,
Tyler

Old 12-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

Okay,
I'll be watching for it.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

My buddy has an 04 500 sportsman and he's went through 2 boots so far. I own a 04 Rincon and I just replaced my first, don't worry about it, it is just normal wear and tear. It's the design. Where you gain in riding comfort you lose in durability. It happens to them all, you can't dodge what you can't see coming, soory man.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have a few projects to do this week, and a couple games, so don't expect that picture til later this week or even next weekend. THanks for all your posts guys.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

That's cool[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I'm watching footbaLL and chillin'

Quick Reply: Another Boot Ripped!!!!!