Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Another Boot Ripped!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Boot Ripped!!!!!

As seen im my post last week, i just had my glacier plow put on. Among a few other things, i had front and rear CV boot guards installed because i was SICK of ripping boots every time i rode. Well today, i was plowing the 3 niches of slush we got last night (dont want it to freeze there) and being always nervous, i was constantly checking to make sure no snow or ice was getting near the boots. After i was all done, i went to check one last time and the rear outside boot is torn wide open, just like it always is when it rips. THere was nothing inside the boot guard like ice or sticks, and i never even left the driveway. It is warm today, everything wsa wet slush, and tehre was no ice anywhere. It was dry in the guard, so i dont see how snow could've done it.. Arrr im just mad, thats the 5th boot since i've bought it (about 90 hrs on it). its not the price of the boot that gets me (although that still is bad) its the labor installing it, and this time im gonna have to do it in the freezing cold.

Sorry about this one, just had to vent. Everyone in my house either doenst know what im talking about or care. Except my dad, who pays for the boots, but no way he could put one on lol. He just gets mad about the twenty bucks. Whooo a little better.

Old 12-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

If you were just plowing, something is hitting your boot ripping it, either external or internal. You need to check for interference....doesn't sound right.....i've never had a rip and ride in all kinds of crap....

Old 12-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

that aint right, somethings wrong, my 2000 SP500 has the original boots on it and its been through hell and back, all 400 hours of it

Old 12-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I've looked before, but never found anything. THe only explanation i've heard that sounded even remotely acceptable is that because I am so light, i do not compress the rear suspension at all, and the different folds in the boot are always rubbing against each other as the axle turns.

It is true about them always rubbing together, but i doubt that would cause them to rip. The springs are set as loose as they go, but the ride is still rough in the back, im only 135 lbs.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

that wouldent cause it, there not really rubbing, just touching anyway. there has to be something cutting it, try wrapping the area around the boot up with your famous Duct Tape and see if the duct tape gets cut, and if it does theres outside materials cutting it, if its not cut but the boot cuts then theres internal probs.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

You mean wrap the whole area with all holy duct tape? Like around both the upper and lower control arms?
Its weird, because every time it has been the outside boot, except once was the front, but that was probably a stick. Thanks

Old 12-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

WOW ... i've driven mine in muck that i was sure was going to tare a boot and never have ... maybe something is traped in the CV joint and flyes out when moving taring the boot from the inside ... since you keep replacing the boot maybe its still in there.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

dont worry so much about the bearings, nothing will happen to them if your careful... i ripped my boot on my suzuki and i just said **** on it and never replaced it, i got 1500 miles of mud with a boot ripped wide open before my cvs started to click, then i got another 500 before they got bad... just get that boot replaced as soon as possible, make sure you clean and get everything out before you put the new grease in the new boot

Old 12-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

whats the best way to clean them up good? I usually check very often, so i catch a ripped one before its had more than a few miles on it. I rub the grease between my fingers and see if there are ANY grains of anything, but there never has been. SO i wipe out what i can, and repack the rest. Sooo what to clean them with? i have some denatured alchohol that cuts through grease, but i dont want to put that on them because i wouldnt want it eating anything. Thanks
Tyler

Old 12-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tyler711
You mean wrap the whole area with all holy duct tape? Like around both the upper and lower control arms?
Its weird, because every time it has been the outside boot, except once was the front, but that was probably a stick. Thanks

im really thinking its something on the inside, but yeah, just maybe wrap the A-arms AROUND the shaft and the boot so if anything cuts the duct tape you'll know its an external item (dont wrap the boot itself

Quick Reply: Another Boot Ripped!!!!!