Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Share your scarry ATV moments

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id like to hear about peoples scarry ATV moments

mine was when i was doing a VERY sharp U-Turn on a slight slight hill and the SP500 went onto two wheels and i was riding on two wheels and my right foot on the ground pushing to get it on all 4 wheels

luckily i did

Chris

Old 09-10-2000, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was a few yrs ago.While riding at night in a road side ditch,a deer ran out in front of me.He come from nowhere.I damn near hit him.Im thinking to myself,what a mess that would of been if I had hit him,lucky,I missed him by meer inches.
Bill

Old 09-10-2000, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

My scariest ATV moment happened last year when I actually was looking in to buying a Yamaha Beartracker!!!! I still have nightmares.

Old 09-10-2000, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The moments aren't only scary, clindst, they're also EMBARRASSING!

Spare me some dignity; don't make me confess here. I'll only say--I KNOW I can leg-press 600 pounds!

Tree Farmer

Old 09-10-2000, 12:30 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

Mine was in a little bigger ATV than you guys have. On a narrow trail going down the side of a larg hill, The road suddenly fell out from under me, I rolled the 52 ton Howetzer on its top, no one was hurt, but we were scared.

Oh, I didn't actually own the Howetzer.

Bruce L. Hall
99 Soprt 400L
87 Cyclone 250X

Old 09-10-2000, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Teachiing our neighbor's 14 yr old niece to drive an atv. They thought it would be easier for her on my Xplorer since it is automatic, unlike thier Foremans. I said sure, why not. None of them had ever driven a 400 Polaris before, and were unaware of the acceleration they have. I was unaware of how they had been trying to teach her. They put the Foreman in 3rd or 4th so she could run around a field without having to shift. To start out, she basically had to peg the throttle. To make a long story short, I showed her how to start it, how to put it in gear (we started out in low) and with me holding on to the front of the rear rack with my fingertips, and not quite ready to go yet, she pegged the throttle. My first thoughts were to not dislocate my shoulders as my feet came up way too fast, and not kick her teeth out as my feet went by, and lastly, to stay on there to help her get solwed down before we hit something we didn't want to! I held on & we got slowed down & all, and she wound up really liking the machine once she learned to ease on the gas. Witnesses say they wish they had a camera as we went by, her screaming, me hanging on for dear life, and the front wheels a foot in the air!!!
Makes me wish it had a 'dead man' style tether kill switch like a snowmobile or jet-ski.
Farmr

Old 09-10-2000, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

For me it would have to be the time I was climbing a very long steep hill and right as I got to the top my Kodiak started jumping up and down because the wheels were spinning. On one of those "jumps" it landed on the back wheels and over we went. We rolled 3 times end over end hit a tree spun around and rolled the rest of the way down the hill side ways ending up JAMMED in between two trees. Of course the hook for the winch was jammed in also. It was to tight for me to get loose, so after working the hook around and around for awhile I finally got it loose. But the nearest tree was about at the end of my cable, and I was pulling at a right angle. Needless to say the peg that holds the cable on the spool broke and I lost my cable! I finally worked it out from the two trees and rolled it down to the bottom of the hill. I bent everything back that I had to so I could drive it, and hit the starter button, Varooooom, it started in one crank. I bent the rear axle, but I was able to drive it the 3 miles back to my truck and load'er up. After that, I wouldn't consider buying anything but a Yamaha.

Old 09-10-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Recently dating a girl who upon seeing My exurberent intrest in this sport said, O that's nice with a taciturn sneer. Looking at my quad as if it were a childs toy worthy of little importance.

Yikes!

Old 09-10-2000, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

I was doing a 3 point turn when my rear tires got stuck on a mossy log.I engaged the 4wd on my Scramler 500 and hit the throttle. I guess I hit it too hard.My quad shot up the steep hillside and threw me off and ran over my foot. For a few seconds,the quad teetered above me before stopping.It was surounded by sapplings that had to be bent to get the quad back to the trail. A few hours later I noticed a melon-sized bruise on my thigh.Didn't even know I hit it! P.S My husband broke his collar bone on the 4th of July!!

Old 09-10-2000, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

what year was or is your kodiak

Quick Reply: Share your scarry ATV moments