Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004 | 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

go to walmart buy the small charger they sell. it auto shuts off and comes back on when needed if you leave it hooked up. a fully charged battery will not freeze. small batteries like a atv battery should never be charged with more than 2 amps. also use cable ties to secure the vent tube running down towards the ground. when you first put the acid in the battery it will come up on its own to a partial charge usally enough to start your atv. a small battery charger [2 amps or less] is the best way to charge and maintain your battery.

Old 12-18-2004 | 07:53 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default Battery

You need to charge the battry before starting the bike!The charging system on these things(motorcycles included)are not designed to charge a battry just to KEEP them charged.Damage can be done to the voltage regulator and/or the stator if you run a low battry.

Old 12-18-2004 | 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
I always leave my in the "run" position.
That's what my neighbor did until his kids climbed up, turned the key, and gunned it. They were'nt hurt, but the sportsman went right throught the garage wall. He had just gotten off to go inside for something, so he just turned off the key, leaving the key in and the bike in gear. Now we hide our keys and turn off the switches.

Old 12-18-2004 | 01:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Battery

Like mistertinker said, a fully charged battery won't freeze so don't worry about that.

Old 12-18-2004 | 08:37 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Battery

went to walmart today and bought me a schumacher battery charger/maintainer. Hey when yall put
the acid in the battery. Was there alot left over. I never could see how full it was getting. Then it was to the top. So I had to take some out. I'm still not sure if I have enough in there or not. This has taken alot more of my time than I ever thought it would. I just thought that I would take the old out and pop the new in. Like I did in my truck. Boy was I ever wrong. I just want to make sure I get the right amount in. Dont know why they gave so much extra. Thanks

Old 12-19-2004 | 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

there are lines on the case that you fill to when new. first read the instructions that came with the battery. the trick is to shine a good flashlight from the back of the case to see the level of acid. also you must go back and check each cell after you fill them because the acid absorbs into the lead plates. usually there is more acid than you need. remember if your water/acid levels go low after the battery is new do not add more acid only distilled water. the acid does not evaporate or boil off only the water. its always good on small engine batteries to charge the battery with a charger once a month than to rely on the charging system. was the charger you bought the 2 amp or less model? do not charge a small engine battery with a 6 amp or bigger charger. it overheats the battery causing premature failure.

Old 12-19-2004 | 03:23 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Battery

mistertinker
Thanks. Yes the charger was a 1.5 amp. slow charge, with a float mode. It came with cable that I guess I can hook up to my battery and just leave on it. Then when I need to charge it maybe once a month, its just a quick connect. Also I'll shine a light through the back like you suggested. I think I got all 6 cells equal. I stuck a new toothpick in each cell hole to check the depth. Thanks again for everyones help. I'll charge it up tomorrow and put on the atv monday. Hope it works. I'm sure it will though.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-19-2004 | 09:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery

mistertinker-"levels go low after the battery is new do not add more acid only distilled water"

i've been told that before but don't know why. will it possible blow-up in your face if you add acid after the fact?

-MT

Old 12-19-2004 | 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default Battery

MT

The best way to determine if the acid content needs a boost is with a hydrometer. Its kind of like the one used for checking coolant. Sometimes the levels go down after the plates soak it up. When mixing water and acid. Always pour acid into water never water into acid. If you do the latter the acid will kick up and spatter.

Old 12-20-2004 | 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery

ahhhhhhhhh, i understand. thank-you![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Battery