Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Dang it. I hate it when I hit enter after the message title. Oh well.
Anyway my battery went dead and I've had to replace it. I got a megna power one from oreily auto. Thing is I had to put my own battery acid in the thing. That made me a little nervous. I hope that I did it right. The instructions was for someone who had done it before are thats what it seemed like to me. There was a vent hole plug that I had to remove and replace it with a tube. Thing is I dont know what now to do with the tube. Its just curled up in a circle now. Should it be higher than the battery or lower. And it said that I should charge the battery for 10 hrs for best results. But I dont have a charger. I dont think that most people would. Anyway I'm letting it sit for the night and will instal tomorrow. Is there anything that I need to do before/during or after hooking it up. And is that an okay brand. I didnt have alot of choices.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Battery

I have doen a few batteries for the bikes. You fill them up with the acid and you have to let them site for a few hours to let the acid soak into the plates. Then charge it overnight on a low charge, about 2 amps

Old 12-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

what if you dont have a charger though. And is there anything I can do to keep it from freezing. The guy at the auto parts store said that because the battery freezes I might have to replace it once a year. I got this battery for free cause I know the guy that runs the store. But I cant bug him for a new battery every year. Can I wrap it up in that tape that is used for outdoor pipes to keep them from freezing. Oh and last stupid quistion. On my trailblazer on the left handlebar is the off/run/off engine switch. Even though the key is out, if the engine switch is in the on position. Will it drain the battery. I dont think it will but it might. Thanks

Old 12-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Battery

You can get a trickle charger for around $20 or less. A great investment regardless. Put that thing on there for about a day and it will charge it up. But, if you had to add your own acid, then the battery will have to be charged

Old 12-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Battery

The best thing to do to keep the battery from freezing is taking it out and storing it inside. Put that trickle charger on it if you let it sit for awhile too. As for that switch, it shouldnt cause a drain because the ignition it off. I always leave my in the "run" position.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:21 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Default Battery

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
I always leave my in the "run" position.
I also do that, then my buddys come over then switch it to off.....and nothing happends, so I start FREAKING OUT.....then look and see that it is off. This has happend a few times.

Sounds like you might have a short.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Battery

Originally posted by: RAJ
Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
I always leave my in the "run" position.
I also do that, then my buddys come over then switch it to off.....and nothing happends, so I start FREAKING OUT.....then look and see that it is off. This has happend a few times.

Sounds like you might have a short.
I cant even recall how many times I have by mistake knocked my "run" switch in the off position on the bike. I have doen it at stop lights before and just freaked out trying to get it to re-fire. Then look at the switch and just shake my head. Or, sit in a parking lot for an hour trying to get it to start just to realize I hit the switch to off when I was reaching for the starter button. Oh yeah..............it happens to the best of us. LOL

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Battery

watzupdog
when you install the battery, the vent tube goes down, not up.

also, wrapping a battery won't keep it from freezing. a heat source must be present to keep something from freezing.

-MT

Old 12-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

u dont have to charge it if u add your own acid if u dont have time to, my instructions said if time allows charge for 16-20 hours for the first time, but it dosnt absolutely have to be done, i didnt do it and it works fine. it started right up. i charged it for about 10 hours after i got done riding that night.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

I typed in battery under the search bar here in the forums and it seems as though some people here use a battery tender and seem to be getting them from wal mart for around $17. If I got one of these. Could I plug my battery in to one of these units and charge it up. I guess what I need to know is, will a battery tender do the same thing as a battery charger. Or will it just keep the battery from loosing power.

Quick Reply: Battery