Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plow skids

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow skids

Well I finally broke down and bought a plow (Warn 60") for my 700 SP, I was searching through this and several other forums today and could not find any insome info on how to set the skids on the plow

I will be mostly plowing gravel driveways, but on occasion I will be plowing conrete or blacktop, and also cleaning up the driveway along the edge of a blacktop road that always get plowed shut by the municipal plow truck. It was not real clear in the directions on how high or low to set the skids, Any Ideas????

In addition, the plow tube (frame) came with a little ******-block type pulley to route the winch cable thrrough instead of hooking it with the J-hook. Does anybody use this set up, and if you do where do you hook the end of your cable with the hook. I tried on the rack, but I don't want to put stress on the rack, and alo it rubs the cable against the body plastic and tube bumpers. I tried a soft wrap tiied around the tube bumper, but it was to long and the hook kept getting pulled into the pulley. I thought about hooking up one of those Front Pulling Systems
that Cabela's sells. to the top tube on the front bumper. Any other ideas???

Thanks,
ZMan079

Old 12-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow skids

I put the plow down (on level pavement),then adjust the skids so the blade is just barley above the pavement.

Old 12-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Plow skids

i would have to agree 100% with 500DUSE![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow skids

Yup....adjust the skids so that the plow is just off of the ground.....

as far as the snatchblock, don't know why you would need it....i'm guessing you are just talking about a single roller/pulley, which doubles the pulling/lifting capacity of whatever is routed through it....the winch has no problems lifting the blade, so if it doesn't give you any advantage, I wouldn't use it, but I've never seen a Warn setup up close...

dave

Old 12-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow skids

I work for DOT up here in N.B. and we set the plow shoes down in spring and fall and in the winter when everything is froze up we raise the shoes so they are not touching the ground. I don't have shoes on my plow and wait till there is some snow pack on the driveway before I plow.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plow skids

Well, it won't work as well for gravel, but I got a rubber plow guard that I bolt between my Warn guard and the blade. The rubber squeegees the pavement clean and it's made of a hard rubber compound that doesn't wear out. I just let the blade all the way down and don't have to worry about adjusting above the surface. You can purchase rubber guards cut to length for around $15 per foot. The only problem I've ever had is going through areas of melted snow that tends to cause the blade to bounce. When I get to a spot that's mostly water, I just lift up a bump on the winch and glide over to the next snow patch. It works great for removing slush.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow skids

put cardboard under the plow edge on level ground. tighten the skids and should be the perfect heigth.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Plow skids

Thanks for the info!!!!!
Will try the carboard trick this weekend.....
Now all I need is snow, got way to much last year and can't seem to get any this year, and it is all because I bought a plow.....LOL

Old 12-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Plow skids

LOL!

same thing here.....except it's when i buy a snowmobile!.....never fails, no snow! LOL!

Old 12-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow skids

Me too... three years ago (where we used to live) we bought a snowblower. WE didnt get more than four inches of snow at a time that year, and it never lasted more than a few days. THis year, i got my plow all set up, and i can still see the grass! I mean, isnt maine supposed to be frickin freezin? WEll it is, it was -6 yesterday, but today it was 50 and raining. My favorite quote about maine: "if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes"

Quick Reply: Plow skids