Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800 3,000lb Winch help!!!

Old 12-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 3,000lb Winch help!!!

Can someone please explain fully how to properly install the warn 3,000 lb. Winch.....Someone told me you have to cut stuff....And my mechanic said you have to cut more on one side for the 3,000 lb. version for some spool thing....what is this...Thanx guys

Old 12-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well it depends on if you are buying the Factory Polaris setup or otherwise...

Your machine has the location for the contactor, ground and power wires already installed. If you buy the prewired winch kit....don't listen to Polaris that it installs in minutes....it does, about 120 minutes without the cutting of the front plastic. Don't know what your mechanic is talking about, you just have to have the right mount and the unit bolts right in, here is a picture of mine installed:

Warn 3.0ci

You'll have to install the contactor in the right front fender, if you look up in there you will see a plate. You run two wires from the winch to the contactor and the two wires that are tied up in the machine go to the contactor also. You mount the control up on the handlebar and route the cable through the headlight pod and down to the contactor. The 3.0ci also comes with a remote control outlet, its easy to install, just need to find a place where you want it installed. I put mine on the right front fender, on the top right next to the front storage compartment. You have to wire it in also. Ignition sense wire just plugs into one of the spade lugs in the front access cover.

As far as connecting a winch without buying polaris's kit, you can use their two wires already there I believe. You will need a winch mount made for the 2005, etc. INstallation is pretty much the same...

dave

Old 12-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: elkbow
Well it depends on if you are buying the Factory Polaris setup or otherwise...

Your machine has the location for the contactor, ground and power wires already installed. If you buy the prewired winch kit....don't listen to Polaris that it installs in minutes....it does, about 120 minutes without the cutting of the front plastic. Don't know what your mechanic is talking about, you just have to have the right mount and the unit bolts right in, here is a picture of mine installed:

Warn 3.0ci

You'll have to install the contactor in the right front fender, if you look up in there you will see a plate. You run two wires from the winch to the contactor and the two wires that are tied up in the machine go to the contactor also. You mount the control up on the handlebar and route the cable through the headlight pod and down to the contactor. The 3.0ci also comes with a remote control outlet, its easy to install, just need to find a place where you want it installed. I put mine on the right front fender, on the top right next to the front storage compartment. You have to wire it in also. Ignition sense wire just plugs into one of the spade lugs in the front access cover.

As far as connecting a winch without buying polaris's kit, you can use their two wires already there I believe. You will need a winch mount made for the 2005, etc. INstallation is pretty much the same...

dave

That's the install for a 700efi.....I am getting the polaris warn winch setup....Dealer wants too much to install it.....I have a 800efi and the front guard is diff. from yours. the part where the winch attaches.....I compared to my buddies 2004 700efi.....

Anyone have pics. of the whole install??

Old 12-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

The 2005 700 EFI and 800 EFI are exactly the same...not sure what you are looking at, but they are EXACT...no differences....the 2004 700 EFI is different...

You can install it yourself, its fairly easy, just takes some time....takes awhile to cut out the front cover.....

I don't have any install pics, I was thinking of taking them, but as usual, I just want to get it installed...

dave

Old 12-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

So do I have to remove the whole front fascia??....I also ordered the front stainless steel brush guard....

Old 12-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

elkbow nice pics

Old 12-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragorus
So do I have to remove the whole front fascia??....I also ordered the front stainless steel brush guard....
You have to remove the front end plastic, including storage compartment....its pretty easy though....if you really need it, I'll take some pics for you of the mount, etc. the polaris instructions are okay, you can follow them, hopefully they'll have all the parts you need....

tomorrow I'm riding, but will take pics in the next couple of days and show you all the mounts, wires, etc....

dave

Old 12-26-2004, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

Elkbow
I'm installing my winch also
I dident get instructions for the mount so it was a PITA
I didnt have to remove the storage box.
I removed the front grill(4 bolts)and I removed the 2 top bolts on the doubletube bumper and let it hinge down.
I will leave the cover off instead of cutting it,I want to get to the freespool
I got the winch installed and am now running wires ,The +/- that go from the battery to contactor have a heavy duty platic clip at the contactor end.Am I supposed to cut that platic off to seperate wires or am I missing parts?

Old 12-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well in the pics on the polaris web sie it looks like the cover is off also...I think it wasn't made to be put back on!

Old 12-26-2004, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 500DUSE
Elkbow
I'm installing my winch also
I dident get instructions for the mount so it was a PITA
I didnt have to remove the storage box.
I removed the front grill(4 bolts)and I removed the 2 top bolts on the doubletube bumper and let it hinge down.
I will leave the cover off instead of cutting it,I want to get to the freespool
I got the winch installed and am now running wires ,The +/- that go from the battery to contactor have a heavy duty platic clip at the contactor end.Am I supposed to cut that platic off to seperate wires or am I missing parts?
you don't have to remove the storage box, its just easier to do a nice job at routing the cables and since its so easy to remove, I did it so I could tie-wrap everything neatly....sorry, I'm a perfectionist...

yes....I believe you cut the plastic off of the wires to separate the cables....that was just put on there to hold them together....I'm trying to remember what it looks like, there should be a plastic cover that came with the kit that covers all the wires on the contactor when finished so that you don't get mud and crap in there.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 3,000lb Winch help!!!