Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

riding in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding in the cold

Dose, anyone ride in the cold, and if so did you have to re-jet the carb from the factor setting... I am having troble with my new pred ,, I live in wisconsin and the thing stalls out when I run it in the cold the dealer told me the factor jetting is for 40degress and up today it is 22degress out and it ran the same boggy stalling way,, planing to go to dealer to let them fix it, I would like to ride all year round with the quad,,, can they jet it for like 0 degrees to like 60 degrees and then I could put factory jets back for summer?????? I do plan on putting an k&n , and a pure polaris pipe on for summer so I guesse it will change again ??????HELP

Old 12-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

While an expert chimes in (I'm going to buy my first quad), let me tell you not to run your quad like that. Cold air is denser, just like air at sea level vs at altitude (I live at 4K'). If you go from sea level to altitude, or from cold to hot, you're going to run rich, which doesn't damage the engine. But you're running LEAN now, and that's dangerous to the motor.
If you don't want to mess with jetting twice a year, set it up for the coldest temperature you'll be riding, and it'll run fine in summer, although rich (that's the way units usually come from the factory). If you want optimum power and fuel economy, you'd have to rejet accordingly. That's why I'm buying an EFI, to stop messing with carbs. I don't have specifics, such as jet sizes, but hopefully somebody will pitch in shortly.
Good luck.

Old 12-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

There should be info in your owners manual for cold weather carb settings, I would raise the needle one position and increase the main jet one or two sizes. Remove the plug over the mixture screw so you can adjust it also, turning it counterclockwise (out) will richen the idle and pilot circuit but don't open it more then 3 1/2 turns from the seated (screwed in) position. You may need a larger pilot jet for throttle settings 0 to 1/4 if you can't get it right with the mixture screw, this screw fine tunes the pilot circuit. The needle is for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle settings and the main jet from 3/4 to full throttle.

You would be wise to learn how to do this, it's not that hard. You'll save money not going to the dealer so much.

As ELP800 said don't continue to ride it like this (lean) you risk serious internal damage to the engine.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

They usually jet them a little rich from the factory so a little cold dense air should be very close to optimal.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

main jet kicks in ALOT sooner than you would think!!

Old 12-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: omahapredator
main jet kicks in ALOT sooner than you would think!!
All the circuits overlap but my general statement is correct, just trying to help the guy out....

Old 12-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I sent you a private message but I forgot to sak you were is it you live and were is that close to ,,, I live in hartford 30 min north west of milwaukee later thanks

Old 12-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: upssmann
I sent you a private message but I forgot to sak you were is it you live and were is that close to ,,, I live in hartford 30 min north west of milwaukee later thanks
If this question is for me I live in SE lower Michigan.

No PM's yet....

Old 12-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

Actually if you want to know the truth, with all the pollution standards that have to be met now, machines are jetted either spot on for "milder" temps or EVEN LEAN. So, as cold as it has been here in WI, it is running lean. How lean?? Well that depends on if the Preds. are a little on the lean side for emissions or not. The best thing to do is what powerslider said & find someone whom you trust in this area & have them teach you how to do it.

Old 12-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

i run mine with stock jetting and sometimes it wont idle when cold so u just gotta keep it hammered lol

Quick Reply: riding in the cold