Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Spark Plug Boots Pop Off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Boots Pop Off!

I replaced the plugs on my 2004 700 Sportsman a month ago. Since that time the spark plug boots will not stay on the plugs very well. They seem to go on properly and after a short ride they are popped up again. I am using the Champion spark plug from the dealer. Any hints on why this is happening and what I can do to solve it?

Old 12-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

use a little grease on the inside of the boot

it will help the boot slide down over the ceramic,,,,so you dont get any upward pressure on the metal/metal contact

not sure if i just made sense

Old 12-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I did put a squirt of dialectric grease into the boot and onto the electrode.

Old 12-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol

is it popping off because its not going on all the way?

is it the right size plug?

is the whole boot coming off or just the metal tip?

Old 12-27-2004, 05:14 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

You didnt accidently re route the plug wire in a way that due to body flex or roll it would pull it off the plug did you?

Old 12-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Champion spark plugs are the same ones that I have got from the dealer before, so yes I would say they are the correct ones. The boot does seem to push onto the plug properly and quite snug. The wires are not routed in such a way to pull the boot off. Is it possible that I put the plugs in too tight and deformed the small metal washer at the base of the plug? Could this cause some type of 'blow by' from the compression of the engine and popping both boots off? Maybe I will have to replace the plugs again and take note of how tight I am putting them on. What can I use to clean the old dirty grease out of the inside of the plug boots? Would brake cleaner work or would it harm the rubber? How much dialectric grease are you supposed to put in the boot when you reinstall? Thanks.

Old 12-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Scotia
The Champion spark plugs are the same ones that I have got from the dealer before, so yes I would say they are the correct ones. The boot does seem to push onto the plug properly and quite snug. The wires are not routed in such a way to pull the boot off. Is it possible that I put the plugs in too tight and deformed the small metal washer at the base of the plug? Could this cause some type of 'blow by' from the compression of the engine and popping both boots off? Maybe I will have to replace the plugs again and take note of how tight I am putting them on. What can I use to clean the old dirty grease out of the inside of the plug boots? Would brake cleaner work or would it harm the rubber? How much dialectric grease are you supposed to put in the boot when you reinstall? Thanks.
dont worry about cleaning the grease off,,,or putting too much

it insulates,,,and keeps the boot from sticking to the ceramic

Old 12-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If there was compression blowby, strong enough to blow off the spark plug boot...youd know it. It would be loud and the motor would run like crap, and it wouldnt quit by reinstalling the plug cap.
When you put the plug cap on, does it take much of a tug to remove it? Sometimes, if theres too much grease, its gets very slippery, and the rubber doesnt grip very well.
Some spark plugs have that small, threaded aluminum cap, on the end of the spark plug. Some caps need that small 'nut' on the end of it, and some dont. Im not sure which yours is, but most dont use the small 'nut' even though the plug comes with it when new. When you took the old plug out, did it have that 'nut' , and does the new one? Or maybe you have the 'nut' and its not supposed to be on it.
when you figure it out...let us know what you find.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

Sometimes the boots just go bad as well..

I have had that happen to me.. very simple to replace it unscrews from the wire, and a new once costs like 3 bucks..
dave