Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Toy needs new mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Toy needs new mods

Hi guy's. I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 Scrambler. The wife bought it for me for Christmas. You gotta love a women like that!!! Anyway, I love the new toy, but like any guy, I want it to go faster and do more. Can you suggest some basic mod's that every good scrambler needs. Basically, I would like the front wheels to come off the ground easier, and to help it breath a little better. Any suggestions for protection mods would be helpfull as well. Thanks!!

Old 12-28-2004, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

bigger carb, pipe, lightned flywheel, porting, dome, head, reeds ....... the basic race mod set up, AZ BAD BOYZ will hook you up

Old 12-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneBadPolaris440
bigger carb, pipe, lightned flywheel, porting, dome, head, reeds ....... the basic race mod set up, AZ BAD BOYZ will hook you up
Porting, dome, head, reeds? this is a 4-stroke...don't listen to him....

Do a search on the forum for 'scrambler' and you'll find a bunch of info....others will also chime in...

Old 12-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Start with your basic mods. A K&N air filter with an outerwears. Then you can add a clutch kit. This is where it get tricky. Clutching combos are endless. You can get a full kit from a company like HPD or have a Polaris expert like Rick Ritter @ RCR put a custom kit together for you depending on your riding style, wants, and budget. Rick is awsome to deal with. You have soem options when it comes to pipes as well. The consenses seems to be this.........if you want a full system, get the HPD Powermaxx. If you want just a slip-on, get the White Bros E-Series. HPD has a pretty trick air box/carb mod too. Adds some throttle response and a LOT MORE AIR FLOW. The scrambler has a cv carb which uses vaccum to open the slide in the carb. You cant just drill holes in the lid and rejet the carb. You have to do some other mods to the carb which is why the HPD kit works great. Then you can get into soem of your other more expensive mods such as a bigger carb, cam, porting, big bore, ect. I would suggest one of the first things you buy is a Polaris service manual. Get to know your machine. Also invest in a chain tensionor from HPD. Very good investment. I wouldn't really worry much about a swingarm skid plate. A lot of people end up taking them off because they cause you to get hung up easier. A front bumper and skid plate is a nice added feature. I like the protection the the DG bumper provides. Tank saddle bags are also a great investment. Mine even has a cup holder. Aluminum wheels too. You can lose about 15 lbs by switching to aluminum wheels.

BTW, welcome to the forums!!! Any other questions feel free to ask

Old 12-28-2004, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

wecome to the forums! we all wish we had women like that!! damn your lucky.

i guess if you are going to do some new mods one essential basic accessory is the trail tech speedometer/ computer.

if you are wanting to go faster, why spend all that money modding unless you can prove to yourself that you are actually going faster? these computers are simple to install and easy to use. very durable. plus it will help you keep track of your mileage on the machine. can be a good idea on a brand new machine. maintenace schedules can also be programmed. its got alotta other little do dads that are nice too. the INDIGLO is cool at nite!

$75 bucks at rocky mountain atv and you can have one.

just a suggestion,

X

Old 12-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If $$$$$ are a concern I would start out by changing the primary clutch spring to a white polaris spring and set the secondary spring at 2-2.Then get a K&N air filter and a White Bros slip on muffler.But the best bang for my $$$$$ was the TEAM roller secondary.But you can get the spring air filter and muffler all for less than $250. A new TEAM is around that by its self.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feed back guy's. How much would you say a new spring kit and a K&N airfilter cost anyway? And is this something I can all do myself. I am fairly mechanically inclinded [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Hot Seat Performance or Aaen Performance

both places have a wide selection and prices!

Old 12-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I got my K&N for $35 and my Outerwears for $10 at Rocky Mountain ATV. Just a spring is around $20. The clutch kits range in price from about $90 to about $200 depending on which company you go with and what kit you go with. And they are fairly easy and straight forward to install

Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Diver1
Thanks for the feed back guy's. How much would you say a new spring kit and a K&N airfilter cost anyway? And is this something I can all do myself. I am fairly mechanically inclinded [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
If you go with just the spring you get it at a Polaris dealer tell them you want a primary spring for a 400 Scrambler not a 500.And the K&N Rocky mountain ATV has the reasonable but I got mine for $25 off of ebay.The spring is as simple as pulling the clutch cover off and removing the big bolt and the 6 small ones but they need to be torqued going back small 18-20 lbs big 40 lbs

Quick Reply: New Toy needs new mods