Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

"E" on LCD for Gear Selection Indicator...2002 SP 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "E" on LCD for Gear Selection Indicator...2002 SP 700

My 2002 700 starting acting up (again- it seems like a ritual with this thing!) the other day. When I put it in to any gear EXCEPT reverse it shows a "E" on the LCD when it should show "P" for Park, "L" for Low and "H" for High. Reverse shows a "R" though...strange. Also I noticed that my 4x4 doesn't work. If I hold the yellow reverse override switch in I will get 4x4 but only if I hold it in. The quad still drives just fine in all the gears. I thought it was the electric switch on the side of the transmission that had gone bad so I ordered a new one and installed it. No such luck- the problem still exsists. Anyone have some ideas as to what might be wrong? Something internal with the transmission? Something electronic further up the line from the switch? The wiring harness looks fine where it plugs in to the switch.

Any help is appreciated as I'm about 1 step away from dumping this thing and never going back to Polaris if I can't figure this one out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

Bump...

Internal gears that connect the shift lever to the switch??? Maybe?

Old 01-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

I have the same problem exactly except mine shows a E in reverse and now the E went away and it shows a N. I have no reverse 4x4 in reverse with holding the override. I havent fixed yet waiting till spring. I can tell you this its most likely the speedo unit which polaris knows its a real problem. Basically there mistake. there is tons of people that are having the same problem but in different order. A new speedo unit is 250.00 bottom line and i heard guys have replaced and the problem comes back after a year or two. Believe me iam pissed bigtime. My machine has 100hours and 400 miles and now i haft to come up with that kind of money. good luck.......

Old 01-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i believe a quick visit to your local qualified Polaris dealer is in order.

does the owner's manual describe your problem in the "trouble shooting" or in the "display gauges" section?

an "E" in the display should be a no-brainer for the Dealer.

please post what they find.

-MT

Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

when a car's "Service Engine Soon" light comes on it's no big deal for the Dealer. they plug-in the hand-held computer and the code is right there. very easy to fix at that point. back on the road in a couple of hours.

Polaris computer should be no different.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: mtpockets
i believe a quick visit to your local qualified Polaris dealer is in order.

does the owner's manual describe your problem in the "trouble shooting" or in the "display gauges" section?

an "E" in the display should be a no-brainer for the Dealer.

please post what they find.

-MT
I know I could take it to the dealer and pay them to fix it...but...this quad has been nothing but a headache for me so I think I am indeed going to take it to the dealer...and leave it there! I owe $2300 and if they give me that it's there's. Not going to get anything new right away as I am saving to get a much bigger toy- a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummin's! I do see a King Quad in my distant future however. Polaris has scared me away I am afraid.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

I don't expect this to fix your problem but since it's free give it a try. Unhook your negative terminal from the battery and leave it off for a minute. Attach the terminal again and see if that fixes it. If not, check ALL electrical connections... make sure the battery terminals are clean, all connections are securely connected. Take the top half of the pod/head light off (3 phillips screws) and just peak around at all the connections there... look for anything obviously wrong. If all fails, then you probably will need a new speedo unit - maybe you can find one on Ebay.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

One other thing came to mind... take apart the switch assembly for the AWD switch and make sure things are clean and 'look right'. Do this for the other plastic assembly for the reverse override too.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jack3689
if you lived closer i would buy that ATV for the $2300 IN A HEARTBEAT! by chance, does that include the extras in your signature?

also, i will check with my dealer today on the "E" and how to repair it yourself. will write the results tonight.

look into shipping charges to MA for your 700.

-MT

Old 01-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Range Rover

I dropped it off at the dealer today. I tried the unhooking the battery trick with no luck! They are going to quote me a price to fix which I am sure I will pay. After that I am still probably going to sell this thing but for a little more then $2300 since it will be running correctly again. I'm guess I'd ask more in the $3750 range???? It would be with all the extras minus the plow because that will fit another quad.

mtpockets- thanks for checking. Ill check that what you find out jibes with what my dealer (Chapman's Sports in Davison, MI) tells me...

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: "E" on LCD for Gear Selection Indicator...2002 SP 700