Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler power upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler power upgrades?

Well I test rode an 04 scrambler 500 4x4 today. I like the way it rides, but am dissapointed
with the power. I drive an 04 z400 with bolt ons, and an 03 kfx 400 witha ninja 600 bike motor.
What I need to know is, by adding a pipe, jet kit, and filter will I be gaining a signifficant power over stock form?
I know there's clutch kits out there as well, will these help with more power? I'm more concerned
with low to mid power. Say 0-45 or so. I just want to make sure that I can gain some power with the bolt ons.
I like the quad and am sure the stock form is OK, but when I get comffortable on it, I hope to add a little.
Anyone add a few bolt ons and notice a good difference. How much difference?

Old 01-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

The Scrambler is not a high performance sport quad nor is it as light as the Z. However, it can be made into a trail monster. If you want a more aggressive throttle "response", a clutch kit will give that feel. When/If you get a pipe, you are going to want a clutch kit tuned to give the best performance with the pipe. Check out HPD at hpd-inc.com or RCR at rittercycle.com. RCR sells HPD (stick with HPD all the way) and if you give him a call and tell him how/where you ride, he'll get you what you need to get the Scrammy dialed in.

BigBadScrambler will tell you, HPD is the way to go. Check out his photo page. He's got one bad Scrambler.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

HPD has the best full system on the market. Bar none. However, you dont neccessarily (?) need a full system. A lot of people really like the White Bros E-Series slip-on. Dont expect the same kind of gain with an exhaust on a scrambler like you would on a sport machine. You will notice improved low and mid range. With the correct carb tunig of course. A clutch kit is where you will see the most improvedment in acceleration up to about 45-50mph. Add a TEAM roller secondary clutch from HPD and you will have a very well responding machine. The scrambler will not give you that same sense of acceleration as your Z because it is not that type of machine. The weight is really its biggest drawback. However, with the right mods, the scramlber (even in stock form) is a kick azz trail machine

Old 01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

I really dont expect the scrambler to run with my z's. I just dont want to be telling everyone to wait for me.
Most of my riding is quick spurts. I dont usually go faster than 40 or so. I am just concerned about the 0-50 mark.
I will probally go with a slip on, new jets, filter, and what ever the best clutch kit is. I will spend alot of time on tight
nasty trails, but still want to be able to move when needed.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I usually ride a mixture of slow technical 10mph or less trails and faster trails where you are usually around 30-45mph. I ride with a DS650 and a Predator. Neither one of them can lose me in the trails. The majority of the time, I am stopped with my helmet off when they reach me for a pit stop. The scrambler really shines on these trails

Old 01-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DITTO on what BBS said.But for me the biggest gain was with the TEAM roller secondary.Mine is a monster up to around 50 mph.It shifts fast with yellow primary spring and stock weights.I am going to try a set of heavier weights this spring to compare.For around $500 you can set one up like mine and it will hold its own in trails and dunes. One other thing that makes a huge improvment is to junk the stock steel wheels and go with alluminum ones.But there is another $200.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

well, if Im gonna do it...then Im gonna do it right! thanks. I dont
know anything about the clutch or springs, but I know where to
get the info when it comes up.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

Hey what types of clutch set ups do you guys run? I checked out HPD and there clutch
assemblies look good. I just need to know what clutch set up is best. If I order a kit
will it come with EVERYTHING I need? If not, what else will I need? Should I stick
with one of there pipes as well? What about a White bros or FMF slip on? I want to make sure I
get a good set up with no stall problems.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you copy my setup you will be happy but do get the TEAM roller from HPD it is modded to wher eyou can adjust it.Dont forget the wheels you loose alot of weight with them.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

My kit is a slightly modified HPD aggressive clutch kit matched to their pipe. Their full kit coem with everything for the primary and secondary clutch. You can order it minus the helix and secondary spring for $90 and get the TEAM roller clutch from them. HPD's exhaust is very nice. Nickel plated headpipe with an aluminum silencer. It has a nice throaty sound. I DOES NOT have a spark arrestor though. If you ride where you need one, then just get the White Bros slip-on. I also recommend HPD's airbox/carb mod kit. It never hurts to open up the airbox but you gotta do it right with their kit to make the CV carb work correctly