Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No flag mount :|

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No flag mount :|

We went down to the sand dunes last weekend and took most of the quads with us and discovered after we unloaded the quads and went to put the flags on them, Polaris forgot to put a flag mount on the new sp800's. There were a couple of holes in the rear rack,but the tail lights were in the way. after jacking around with trying to figure somthing out. We finaly took the ball off the reciever hitch I had boght last weekend took the special hitch atachment off a buddy's twin peaks wrapped a towel around the rear rack so the whip would not rub all the paint off it and we were finaly in business. This is the first quad I have ever bought or even seen that didn't have a factory flag mount[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img].

I think I can go to the hardwear store and buy some staggered sizes of washers and some long bolts and make somthing work in one of the large holes on the back rack, but what a pain in the a$$.

Just thought I would let everone who has one of these quads and planning on riding places that require a flag, so you can get prepaired befor you get to your destination.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Besides that, how did the SP800 do in the dunes?

Old 01-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

I realy like the smooth ride. Its the smoothest I have ever been on. We did some camparision testing and drags with my buddy's totaly stock Twin Peaks and the SP800 has similar power to the twin peaks 700s stock vs stock. It never was able to beat the Twin Peaks but it gave it a real run for its money so to speak. I had figured that it would beat a 700 twin peaks/prairie, maybe with a few mods it will. I am stil trying to find an aftermarket exhaust but no one seems to make one or could even tell me if they had one in the works. I may have to start cutting on the factory pipes. I hate that waverunner sound it makes. Its got a realy big engine and I like to here them. Not so loud it hurts your ears or anything just loud enough to sound good. All you hear now is a anoing hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. All in all I like it so far. I didn't buy it for my regional play rides anyway I bought it for the realy big rides we do in colorado were there are a lot of extream altitude changes (EFI) . It's ride is so very plush, way different than the SP700 I test road a while back. Its not even in the twin peaks leauge at all where handeling is concerned. It wallows aroud alot but thats the trade off for that plush IRS ride. When it comes to playing (sport rides) the the twin peaks/prairies are very hard to beat (fun factor). The polaris has a very hard time doing a doughnut in the sand and is a pain to get the frount wheels in the air. Its a different beast as far as lofting the front on dirt, it does that quite well. I ordered a k&n filter for it and looking at a programer and exhaust mods to liven it up a bit. So far so good the missing flag mount is the only problem I have had and depending on rather you need one as to rather thats a problem.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i have to agree that it is also a different beast on hard pack, but im truely suprised as that it was beat by a machine 60+cc's below it. its neck and neck with a Brute Force in a drag. but i guess it was because of the different tires and it being a solid axle

Old 01-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well the tires that were on the Twin peaks were 25" bias ply bighorns on vision wheels. That particular wheel and tire combo, add about 12lbs per corner of unsprung weight close to 50 lbs total. Unsprung weight has an extream effect on performance. From previouse tire and wheel testing we have done, it was actualy giving the Sportsman a major advantage. I will put it this way if we had put the stock tires and wheels back on the twin peaks it would have been beatining the sportsman by another 3+ quad lengths. not the other way around. In fairness the sportsman I have came with a heavy cast wheels with fairly heavy 26" radial tires. I like the tires and wheels the sportsman came with, they look real nice, they are just not good for drag racing thats all. I felt the tires and wheels on both quads were faily close in weight. I am not familure with your sp800 or the Brute 750 you were racing but If I were to gues I would bet it was either not running correctly or had some kind of big wheel and tire kit on on it. With the same stock prairie puting out 32HP at the rear wheels (dyno tested) we were racing a Brute 750 with 27" mudlites and with the stock STP 700 we were beating it with ease. In the STP vs brute runs a few weeks ago the STP had stock tires and wheels on it.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem when I needed to install one at a pay to ride place. I just wire tied it 3 to 4 times. Thats not my big problem, I want to find out my hesitation problem on full throttle. Anybody find anything out on this? I have had the flu the last week and have been out of commission. I hope to take for a good ride this week. When I was at the dealer the want me to bring it back so they can look into it. The said possible rev limiter, I see the point being that it cuts out on or about 6000 rpm's but it should not do that on full throttle. Oh well let me know any input as I will do the same.