Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

update: scrambler belt thrashing.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler belt thrashing.......

I have searched and read and read and read some more of all the different things.. so here is mine to add to the plethora of threads on the topic..

99 scrambler 500h.o.

I have gone through 2 belts in the last 3 months.. the second one being a fancy dandy Kevlar belt.

The Belt housing get's HOT! hot enough you don't want to leave your hand on it for very long!

so how do I get this thing to stop ripping up belts? I have heard about the dayco belts the gates belts and something about a good year belt? anyone have the parts numbers for these different belts? especialy interested in the good year one.

What do I need to check? I have a 250 trailboss and it's housing doens't get even WARM....

as for waht kind of riding.. trails.. no deep mud.. Dunes, no deep water.. infact I'd say the deepest water I went through with this 2nd belt was about 2 inches deep. I really don't want to keep buying belts so please help.. do I need to cahnge weights on the clutch?

thanks in adavance!
dave

All right.. Took it to the dealer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] today... and had them check the alignment.. it was only 20 bucks.. so I let them do it.. and it is aligned perfectly. nothing looks bad.. I was there and watched the whole thing. everything worked like it should be working... soooooo.... now what to look for? i put a new belt on the thing and will ride it some more. but anyone else out there have anything I Can check? they did say the primary clutch is almost due for some attention.. will that cause the belt to be eaten out on one side??

d

Old 01-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

first off, do you have a clutch kit installed? that can contribute to some heat in the clutch housing.

BUT, my buddies tb400 had the same problem you do, going thru belts like it goin outta style, damn near every 4-5 rides. we really couldnt figure it out until he blew his motor and we started taking it apart for a rebuild.

first, we noticed the there was a significant "groove" being carved into the primary clutch sheaves all the way down at the bottom by the shaft. so naturally we thought that he got the belt wet sometime and overrevved it in neutral or something.

upon further disassembly, we noticed that his upper motor mount had broken clean off the frame. this would allow the motor to tweak under load and cause the clutches to become out of allignment.
thus, causing unecessary stress and heat on the belt and eventually just shredding it.

got his motor back together and rewelded the engine mount and all is well, and back to normal. he has been on the same belt for several months now.

check your motor mounts! an easy way to tell is to grab your motor and try to move it by hand. if it moves noticably, i would bet that you have a busted motor mount.

just a short story to try and explain a simple problem.

X

Old 01-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

I will definatly check that out in the morning!!
d

Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Same thing for the tranny mounts

Old 01-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

oh and to my knowledge there isn't a clutch kit installed..

d

Old 01-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Range Rover

Well I couldn't wait till morning, so I went out and grabbed that motor (and tranny) and started shaking the thing.. it is solid.. no movement at all.... same with the tranny..

spoke with the dealer he said to check the vent hole that it could be plugged and not getting enough air.. so I will check that in the morning....

so about them part numbers for the belts. what is this good year part number???

dave

Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

it could just be that the very virst belt you shredded filled the tranny case vent tube with rubber chunks and clogged it.( that is if you didnt check it when you changed the belt.) thus containing the heat and stressing every belt from then on.

ya definitely check that too.

X

Old 01-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

the goodyear belt part # is 71113 , i hope this helps !!!

Old 01-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

All rightie.. I took the belt off. It looks to me that the belt is actually riding to high on the tranny side... I will post a pic when my server is up and running again..

But, what would cause the belt to run high on that side?? there is a groove worn in the belt (what's left of it) that makes it obvious it was riding to high..

dave

Old 01-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

anyone?

Quick Reply: update: scrambler belt thrashing.......