Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

question to all polaris owners about drive belts

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question to all polaris owners about drive belts

I'd have the dealer check the clutch alignment.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 AM
2c3
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
I can see where the dead stop take offs and being stuck and throttling it would be hard on a belt but lets face it, we are spending alot of cash on the machines and when were out in the middle of nowhere nad a belt gets shredded we become screwed. I would thing a belt should last alot longer than 134 miles. My 04 700EFI has more than that on it but I think is still under 200 miles and the belt hasn't been an issue yet(knock on wood).

did the dealer replace the belt under warranty, cause the belts have a limited lifetime warranty right?
maybe your belt will last a little longer. the dealer told me you get a lifetime warranty on your first belt the rest you have to buy. he said thats where the limited comes in. if mine goes bad again ill put a aftermarket belt on it. i wont spend another dime with polaris if i can help it. i agree with you if your going to spend $8000 on an atv it should hold up a lot better than mine. to date i have 155 miles on it with 4 torn boots and shredded belt.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

You keep griping about Polaris stuff. You would tear up CV boots on any quad if you smack the CV into a rock. You would smoke any belt driven quads belt if you keep the throttle wide open when the wheels aren't turning. It sounds more like a learning curve issue than anything. Yes they are ATVs. That does not mean you can smack then into things and not have stuff break or tear. It still requires good judgement on the owners part to realize when he is breaking his equipment.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

I have over 400 miles on my 05 SP 700efi and no problems here.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: fishslab
You keep griping about Polaris stuff. You would tear up CV boots on any quad if you smack the CV into a rock. You would smoke any belt driven quads belt if you keep the throttle wide open when the wheels aren't turning. It sounds more like a learning curve issue than anything. Yes they are ATVs. That does not mean you can smack then into things and not have stuff break or tear. It still requires good judgement on the owners part to realize when he is breaking his equipment.
He does have a good point 2c3. I' am not saying that you beat the day lights out of your quad but you should know what will tear it up and what wont. Some rocks or some sticks or twigs ripped open your cv boots. Thats not your fault or polarises. They are all made out of a rubber compound. Dont get disgusted with polaris man. All the other atv's have the same problem. Its just commonsense I think.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:09 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

yall go to search bar and type in the word boot under polaris and you will find over 7 pages of boot problems. do the same search in the kawi forum and its just over 3 pages. that alone auto tell you polaris has a problem with there boots. as far as the belt goes. i bought a 700 efi. why did i buy a 700 efi. because i love to gas on it. i love the throttle responce. if i wanted something to putt around on i would have bought a ranger. if i cant get out there and hit the throttle and have some fun the money i spent on the 700 is not worth it. i didnt buy an atv to ride on the highway. i got a friend who has a 650 praire and he has had his in a lot worse places than mine has ever seen and he has never torn a boot. i bought boot gaurds for mine and have ripped two boots since then. he dosent have nothing but factory boot protection on his. i have tried my best to take care of this atv. my riding consist of sanbars at the river and in the creek. ive rode the banks of the lake while the water is down. thats it!!!!!!! i havent done any mud bogging. my first two boots i tore i was croosing a small stream, and the third i got stuck riding up a creek, and i dont know when the fourth got tore. i know what it sounds like when i tell you im having all these problems. your thinking hes just tring to kill his atv. but im not im just trail riding. but i guess these forums arent for people who want to vent their problems with there atv because i might offend another polaris owner.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:17 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trog
The 500's belts hold up good and have good pulling power in high range! I had one! I sold it got a 05 sp700EFI have smoked my first belt in 20 miles and the second one by the time I turned 35 miles! This wasnt in the mud It was when I was hunting (NOT BEING ROUGH ON IT)My 500 never went into low range on this trail but this 700 needs to stay in low! I now have 45 miles. WHAT'S NEXT!! GOOD LUCK!!
read this post fishslab. am i the only one having this problem!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

take the boot guards off. bad idea to have them on at all. i put them on my 500 and tore boots left and right. buy a clutch kit for it. put a 800 belt on it, it will fit right on...trust me on this one. and have fun.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:26 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: brainiac213
take the boot guards off. bad idea to have them on at all. i put them on my 500 and tore boots left and right. buy a clutch kit for it. put a 800 belt on it, it will fit right on...trust me on this one. and have fun.
thanks brainiac ill try that

Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

i've got 900 miles on my 03 700 and still on the same belt, i also use low range when riding below 10-15 mph. my buddy blew his belt on his 04 700. he has about 900-1000 miles. he rarely uses low range. he also has 589's and loves to stab the throttle.

Quick Reply: question to all polaris owners about drive belts