Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler online manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler online manual

i need to find out how to take off a starter on a 2000 scrambler 400 owners if u know where i can find a manual online it would be gratly appreciated

Old 01-13-2005, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider

The parts manual is online at Pure polaris Owner. I have a repair manual, PM me.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my repair manual through repairmanual.com. Here is a link, http://www.repairmanual.com/atvs/2000/54/4/10352

I just got done reinstalling my starter in my "99" 400 Scrambler. I can tell you how I removed mine, thank's to some help here in the forums. The POLARIS SERVICE MANUAL can be a little misleading on some things, You kind of need to be able to read between the lines and have a really good idea what you are doing before you start or the manual could confuse you especially the section on removing the starter. That was why I came here for help.

If you just need to know how to remove it, there is a couple of ways you could go about it.
: First thing you have to do if yours is 4wd is remove the 4 bolts holding the side propshaft guard and remove it. Make sure you disconnect your battery.
: Next remove all the bolts from your recoil starter cover and pull it off. There was one tricky bolt on mine, it was at the very bottom and to the back of the case, there is barely enough room to get it out once it is loosend because it hits up against the prop shaft, but it will come out.
: Once the recoil cover is off, you will see the flywheel and next to that the starter drive gaer. Look for 2 bolts beside the starter drive gear and remove them.
: Now you have a couple of choices how to proceed, what you need to do is get to the starter and unbolt the back of it and remove the power cable from it.
1 choice which is the way I went was remove the center skid plate from beneath the machine, once that is removed you are looking at the starter. You can either stand you machine up on it's rear bar which was suggested to me, or what I did was put mine up on jack stands.
Your other choice is to remove your clutch cover , belt and clutches. then you will be at the plate behind the clutches, just remove that and you should be looking at the back of the starter. Personally I didn't want to remove all that stuff, which is why I did it the other way.
: Either way you get ther you shoiuld be able to see the power connection for the starter and the bracket that is bolted to the back of it. Just remove the power cable then unbolt the starter bracket from where it is bolted to the machine(2-bolts). Pry the starter straight back and drop it out.
Hope this helps you until you get a manual.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belive me if you have a clutch puller taking the clutches off is the way to go.Makes it alot easier.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

yeah my dad finnally got it off we were hung up by one bolt that we couldnt see.... seems like the spring went bad in the return went bad hopefully thats all that it is and i dont have to replace the whole shaft and everything

Old 01-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

diagram

has anyone had the tension spring got bad in there starter before (#21 in the pic) and had to replace it. my dad and i decided that that mite be the problem cuz it doesnt seem like it gets out the was fast enough