Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My local shop really pi$$ed me off , but made up for it now!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My local shop really pi$$ed me off today!!:|

I believe that this is a side effect of the hilliard clutches, but it shouldnt happen unless you are really spinning the back tires pretty good. Mine does it on the ice if im sliding around in 2wd, i will feel one or both tires engage. It can be bad if the fronts have good traction when they engage -- i have heard of some people breaking joints when that happens. Anyways, im not certain, but i'm pretty sure it does happen, bot not if you are going as slow as you were.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem on my 04.5 Sp 500. Search for the "horrible dealer service" post and see my dilema with my dealer, I think they must be the same. Anyway, i took it to another dealer and the armature plate had become magnetized, causing AWD to engage because of the drag. The dealer replaced the plate and the outer diff. cover which the plate rests against. He said since it rests against the inside of the diff cover, the cover could have become magnetized too, so he replaced it too. I have only had time to ride it for about 2-3 miles since he fixed it, but it seems to be working fine now. The dealer did all this under warranty, and I didn't buy it from him. Like I said, do a search for that post and read my dilema. Tell us the dealer name, too so everyone will know. I think this if we let everyone know the trouble dealers, they will have to get better, or go out of business one, which if they don't want to improve customer service, they don't need to have a Polaris dealer license.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Range Rover

[
Question for everybody - is the Polaris Premium on Demand Hub fluid synthetic? If not, I would try using synthetic ATF (automatic transmission fluid) this time of year and see if the problem gets better? By using synthetic oil you will help mitigate the thicker viscosity that might be an issue here.

Just a thought.[/quote]

I don't believe the Demand Hub fluid is synthetic. I only use amsoil in my quads, vehicle and lawn equipment. Amsoil recommends the use of their #5 light shock therapy as a substitute for Demand Hub fluid. Amsoil says that this fluid is about a 5 weight and it is synthetic. I had a quart of this shock therapy in my garage and it got down to -10 this morning and the fluid in the bottle didn't get thick at all, it stayed the same consistency. I changed my fluids when I bought it and now I have 400 miles on my quad and the AWD seems to work very well.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

sdbowhunter -

I think you are right about using the synthetic oils. Also, I think that is a big reason you are not having the AWD kick in when it's not supposed to. I see most of the complaints surrounding this problem occur in the colder locations (and during the winter). Seems to me the thickness of the oil must play a big part of that.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

I just installed the Amsoil air filter, the idle is now about 1180-1190 before it was 1130-1140. I've never seen the speedo climb that fast either

I'm sold !!!!!!!!

Now back to what to use in my front+rear gearcases and transmission ?

Old 01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: WGMARQ
I just installed the Amsoil air filter, the idle is now about 1180-1190 before it was 1130-1140. I've never seen the speedo climb that fast either

I'm sold !!!!!!!!

Now back to what to use in my front+rear gearcases and transmission ?

I use the #5 light shock therapy for the front hilliard clutch, use Amsoil chaincase fluid for the tranny and I use Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear for the rear differential. I also use the 0-40 for the engine and all these fluids are synthetic. The only thing I use right now that isn't synthetic is the grease to lube the prop shaft and ball joints, but I'm in the process to see if Amsoil grease is compatible with what i am using. Amsoil products in my opinion are far superior than Polaris lubricants.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Polaridoo
sdbowhunter -

I think you are right about using the synthetic oils. Also, I think that is a big reason you are not having the AWD kick in when it's not supposed to. I see most of the complaints surrounding this problem occur in the colder locations (and during the winter). Seems to me the thickness of the oil must play a big part of that.

I agree with you. Synthetic lubricants viscosity doesn't change a whole lot even if it is winter or summer. I swear by them.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

For the transmission is that the Series 2000 Synthetic Chaincase Lubricant ?

Old 01-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: WGMARQ
For the transmission is that the Series 2000 Synthetic Chaincase Lubricant ?

Yes, that is for the transmission. Your quad takes 15oz in the tranny and 1 bottle of chaincase lube is 12oz, so make sure and buy two bottles.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

Great, Thanks

Quick Reply: My local shop really pi$$ed me off , but made up for it now!!