Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler v. Trailboss v. Trailblazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:00 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Scrambler v. Trailboss v. Trailblazer

Hi all,

I currently own a Kawie Bayou 250 and hate it. It has no suspension and just beats me up on the rough trails. Plus I hate shifting.
So I've decided to upgrade and am torn between 3 quads.
I'm already preapproved credit wise to cover the cost of all 3 quads so it's just a matter of making a choice.
I've ridden the Trailblazer and I liked it.....handled turns great....smooth ride over some serious ruts, etc. I don't mind being a little higher off the ground than I currently am on my little Bayou.
The dealership has a Trailboss in stock (2005) and I said I wanted it but then hubby got on the phone and wanted to know difference between the Trailblazer and the Trailboss. The dealer said the Trailblazer will outrun the Trailboss, so I'm worried about the Boss being too tough on turns, etc.
Then the dealer said the Scrambler kicks butt. It's a bit more money, but it does have the 4x4 (which'll be great since we're moving to the Midwest this summer).
I'm worried about the weight issue...the Scram is heavier by about 100 lbs over the Blazer....am I going to notice that in the turns and handling?

What would you buy for your 5'5 130 lb wife who likes to put on the trails, doesn't mind doing technical stuff, and likes to kick *** 3x a year on the dunes?

Also...I've ridden a Kawie Prairie 360 4x4 and hated it. I thought it was too big and bulky too handle and vibrated too much....like it kinda took too much effort to make turns. Don't know if the Scrambler is anything like that.

I've got to give the dealer my decision within the next day or two since he's run all my credit,. etc.

Thank You all

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:05 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Oh yea...a little addendum

Hubby thinks for 6100$ I should just spend a little more and get a KFX 700. I think its too much power....any opinions on that front?

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'd stay away from the 700 it's too big and not very good looking ( I used another word there but it wouldn't let me post it hahaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. You don't need that. Go with the 500 scrambler if you don't like the shift this will be the best bet!

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:46 AM
Range Rover

I love my 2005 Scrambler! Dont fell the weight at all(Iused to ride 300lb trikes all the time)
It has plenty of power and I have gotten the whells 4 feet off the gound and it lands like a pillow!
Its not an all out sport bike-but it does really well all around!

ps-killer in the snow w/ the AWD engaged!

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys....I'm slowly being convinced of the Scrambler.....I wasn't really sold on the 700, but we have 4 Kawies and were gonna try and stick with them, I just think it's too big.
The specs (size wise) between the Blazer and the Scram are almost identical, except for the weight which was my only concern.
I suppose I could do some mods over time to lighten it up....aluminum rims being the first :-)
Keep the good reviews about these quads coming.....I gotta let the dealer know sometime tomorrow so he can start DMV papers.
Anything about any of these machines that a casual non-aggressive person should know?
I'm also worried that being small the 500 might be too powerful for me.....seems like it's a lot of guys riding the Scrambler and not many girls. I regret buying the Bayou and don't want to make the same mistake . Although my hubby is on third quad in 9 months so I guess I could play catch up.....but now I have the yucky task of trying to sell the Bayou.

Old 01-18-2005 | 07:37 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

The Scrambler can can a handful for some riders it is a torque monster and can get away from you on the bottomend and mid range.My wife rode mine and rode my sons Trailblazer and liked the Trailblazer the best because it being 2x4 it was lighter in the front and steered easier.Ended up going with a 400 Scrambler 2x4 and I am not sure she likes it as well as the Trailblazer (bet her and the boy trade this year)

Old 01-18-2005 | 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

We have a Trail Boss 330 that is used by my wife most of the time. It is not the fastest wheeler out there , but it is very user friendly and preforms great on the trails. I am surprised with it's ability to get through ruff terrain and mud holes. We have owned this wheeler since it was new in 2003 and are really happy with its performance so far. It has great suspension and turns with ease. For the money it is a lot of wheeler. The scrammy 500 4x4 is a very sweet wheeler as well. It is very sporty ...and yet has the 4x4 for when the trail or snow gets nasty.

PINKMOON

Old 01-18-2005 | 11:54 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Oh man...I'm sooo tossed up......the money is a little of an issue too...with the Scrammy being almost 3K more than the Blazer.
I'm really a non-aggressive putter and I don't know if the Scrammy will be just a little too much....although I know a lot of girls who ride the 400EX and the KFX400 and have no problem.
Darn dealers should let you test drive the things....I don't even know anyone with a Scrammy that I could try out....I've just ridden the Blazer.
Ack decisions decisions

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a Trailblazer(2004) and a Scrambler 400(2002). Both are great bikes, the Trailblazer is great in the tight woods. I own 660 acres at my house, about 60 of those acres are woods with trails. The Trailblazer is great on tight trails and the Scrambler is great on fast trails.

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bishbashers
Oh man...I'm sooo tossed up......the money is a little of an issue too...with the Scrammy being almost 3K more than the Blazer.
I'm really a non-aggressive putter and I don't know if the Scrammy will be just a little too much....although I know a lot of girls who ride the 400EX and the KFX400 and have no problem.
Darn dealers should let you test drive the things....I don't even know anyone with a Scrammy that I could try out....I've just ridden the Blazer.
Ack decisions decisions
do you ever ride the prairie 700,what do you think of that? a friend of mine lets his 11 year old ride his 2x4 500 scrambler.the kid only weighs maybe 65-70 lbs,and he does pretty good on it.have you gone to your dealer and told them to either let you take it for a ride in the parking lot or your going to buy else where?if you are a halfway decent rider,the 500 wont be to much power for you.it can be a tame machine and very easy to ride.

Quick Reply: Scrambler v. Trailboss v. Trailblazer