Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stupid question...or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question...or not?

Do I need to rejet after putting a K&N air filter in my 05 scrammy 500 4x4?

I read in a search that you might need to...need a definate answer-thanks!

Old 01-22-2005, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

not usually since its a 4-stroke....if you add an exhaust, then you will most likely need to ......

If you put on the K&N and notice that it doesn't run as well, then a change is due, but in most cases you will have no problems....

Old 01-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Most quads run rich from the start, so when a new filter is put in, it leans it a bit thus runs better. You should be all set.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

I have the 500 ho scrammy too and I put the K&N filter in. I haven't done anything else yet, and I haven't had any problems. Not sure if I see any improvement, it probably isn't enough on its own to show improvements. So I must agree with ELKBOW that you don't need to unless you change the pipe.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Never a stupid question. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] As the others stated, you probably will be just fine. It never hurts to error on the side of caution and check your plug coloration though.

Happy Trails.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Never a stupid question. As the others stated, you probably will be just fine. It never hurts to error on the side of caution and check your plug coloration though.

Happy Trails.

-------------------------
Ken "Jetblast" Thompson

The only thing I would add, is when you look at you plug. Make sure you check it out under a X10 lens a least, sometimes the plug has the right right color. But metal (SMALL FLAKES) is still present on the plug tip, you will not see it without the X10 lens.

later

Old 01-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I didnt have to rejet. You shouldnt either. They are set up to run a little rich from the factory.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

Thanks everybody!!!! I appreciate the input....Now to go tend to this 20" snow storm out here on Long Island!

Old 01-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

My opinion about K&N filters: Though they are marketed as a performance upgrade, the differance is probably small to none in a stock air box. I have K&N's in two of my four vehicles including my Corvette, and have done some research on them. They claim to flow more air. Compared to stock filters, there is little or no differance when both are clean. When both are dirty, the K&N will probably flow more air. A dyno would tell the story and I have heard of this test being done with no noticeable change after installing the K&N. Still, they will eventually pay for themselves because they are reuseable and are an easy upgrade to do.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

I diddn't notice a huge difference with the k&n And i have had no problems with jetting and i rid in tempatures from the 90's to below zero here in wisconsin

Quick Reply: Stupid question...or not?